Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier and it wont start this morning.

I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier and it won't start this morning. I drove it to the store at 7am and put gas in the tank. The car drove fine. Then I went to leave for work at 8am and the car started then shut off by itself. It only ran for 1/2 a second. I can't afford to have it towed to a mechanic at this time because it is Christmas and I have a 3 year old that I am raising on my own. What could the problem be? Is it cheap to repair? Am I just out of luck?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Is the engine spinning when you crank it?

Is the security light on when the key is turned on?

Do you hear the fuel pump, (hum) from the gas tank for 2 seconds when you first turn the key on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Forgive me if I don't give you the correct information. (Not real familiar with cars...just like when they run.) When I turned the key, it started and then turned off. I kept trying but it just kept shutting off. I gave it about 30 minutes and then tried again. Then when I tried to start it, I heard clicking then hissing or a gasp of air.

THEFT SYSTEMS

THEFT SYSTEM DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
The theft deterrent system on this vehicle is comprised of 2 separate systems, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system and the content theft deterrent (CTD) system. VTD prevents drive away theft by keeping the vehicle from starting. CTD is the vehicle alarm system which discourages unauthorized entry into the vehicle. These system are described and diagnosed separately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The only warning lights that stayed on were the check engine light, the battery light and the oil light.

I don't believe I have a theft deterrent system. I have a symbol on my dash that says theft but have only seen it come on when I start the car. How would I find out if that is the problem? How would I correct it?

I only heard a hissing or gasp of air when trying to start the car this morning. (Honestly, it could have been a humming sound but I'm not real sure)

I guess you don't have another person there who could turn the key on while you listen at the fuel tank, (besides your 3 year old) Would you be able to spray a little carb cleaner or starting fluid into the air filter housing? (just to see if it is in fact fuel related, or thieft deterent related)

What I sometimes do is put my ear on the door sill while turning the key on to see if I can hear the fuel pump come on. It will only run for 2 seconds though. If not then you will want to try hitting the tank with a rubber hammer to see if it will start running. That will sometimes jarr the fuel pump if it has stopped working. (sort of a quick test/fix)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am having my father go to the car to hit the gas tank to see if that will work. (I found a ride to work this morning because Payroll is due and no one else can do it. LOL) What is a test that I can do for the Theft deterrent system?

Glad to hear that you did get to work. Normally, from what I have seen with them, the thieft deterent modules seem to not recognize the signal from the ignition lock cylinders. Then they can most times be relearned, (until after the problem becomes continuous) then we replace the ignition lock, (with the sensor) See what it does and you might want to try the relearn on it just to see.

• Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
  • Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  • Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  • Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  • With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
  • Super Mechanic, Master technician
    Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering