John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

2001 chevy blazer: brake light..the switch at the pedal they were

I have a 2001 chevy blazer that I have brake light trouble with. At first they were stuck on. After i changed the switch at the pedal they were still on. I checked the hazard button and then they went off for good. Turn, and hazard lights still function as normal as does the top (third) brake light. I replaced the hazard switch mechanism hoping that would fix it but it is the same. how can i check that it is definitely the multi switch and do I need to pull the steering wheel to change it. Chevy wants $500 for this part and I know it was on recall for it. I have no tilt and no cruise in this vehicle also. Thank You!!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The STOP LP fuse in the engine wiring harness junction block supplies battery positive voltage to the normally open stop lamp switch. When the driver presses the brake pedal, the switch contacts close and battery positive voltage is supplied to both the VECHMSL fuse and the TRCHMSL fuse. On the pickup only, voltage is also supplied to the CHMSL relay in the underhood fuse block which energizes the relay. The energized CHMSL relay supplies battery positive voltage to the multifunction turn signal switch. The utility is not equipped with the CHMSL relay therefore battery positive voltage to the multifunction turn signal switch is supplied directly from the from the stop lamp switch. The current flow from the multifunction turn signal switch continues to the stop lamps which are grounded at G475 and G422 on the pickup and G450 on the utility. The center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is grounded at G202 on the pickup and G450 on the utility.

I am sending a schematic to help you.Check for voltage at the base of the steering column electrical connector.

Object Number: 669532  Size: FS

G202

(CKT 1850) Body harness, to the LF of the I/P, above P100

P100

I/P bulkhead pass-through, LR of the engine compartment, on the cowl

G450 (Utility)

(CKT 1350) Body harness, in the LR body corner, near C403 to the tail lamp harness

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I do have power from the brake pedal switch on the white wire to the multi switch. I also have flasher power leaving the multiswitch on the green wire , but have no brake light power coming out on that wire. do they use the same wire at that point? (back of the multiswitch) If so then it must be my Mswitch. Directions on getting it out would be great. I've never taken out an air bag before. Just want to make sure I do it correctly if I need to.
Thanks!!!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The steering wheel & air bag do not need to come off.Yes,the stop lamps use the green wire leaving the switch.Here is some info to help you.

Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

Object Number: 401496  Size: SH

Caution: This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
    Personal injury
    Unnecessary SIR system repairs
    In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:
    Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
    If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System.

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the knee bolsterLoosen the steering column bracket nuts.
  3. Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead electrical connector from the vehicle wire harness.
    Object Number: 245826  Size: SH

4. Remove the wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
    Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

5. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors (2) of the switch from the column bulkhead electrical connector (1).
  6. Remove the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws.
  7. Remove the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch from steering column.

Object Number: 245826  Size: SH

1. Install the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch to the steering column.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the multifunction, turn signal, and hazard switch retaining screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Object Number: 306234  Size: SH

3. Install the multifuntion, turn signal, and hazard switch electrical connectors (2) to the steering column bulkhead electrical connector (1).
    Object Number: 401496  Size: SH

4. Install the steering column bulkhead electrical connector to the vehicle wire harness.
  5. Install the wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
  6. Install the steering column upper and lower trim covers.Tighten the steering column bracket nuts.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

8. Install the knee bolster. Enable the SIR system.
Experience: A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician