sldcountry, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  auto technology degree, ase certifications, gm certifications and training

how to change alternator in 2001 chevy venture van

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  sldcountry replied 7 years ago.
i can send you some instructions copied straight out of a gm manual here in a little while, but must tell you its pretty involved I have done one before....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what would make your headlights and dash lights flicker? i got my van in may 2008 and the lady that had it before her said it did it the whole time she had it. my husband said it was the alternator going out i had the alternator tested and it showed no problems on the alternator. the guy that tested the alternator moved the fuse box to hook the tester up and they stopped flickering as bad. it still does but not as bad? they dont go out they just flicker even if you're sitting still.

sorry I am just now getting back to you I went outta town last night. sounds like a voltage regulator, which on this car is built into the altenator. where did you have it checked ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
at a mechanic shop close to where i live and also at advanced auto
i honestly have never seen that happen and it not be the altenator, so if it tested good its hard for me to give you an absolute answer, its always been a altenator in my cases. does your batery stay charged or is it going dead and having to jump start it
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the battery stays charged. the memory works for the radio and everything.

the only other thing I can think of to tell you to check would be battery connection these side post batteries in these cars are bad about leaking acid and causing a poor connection that will sometimes make the car do crazy stuff but still have good enough connection to crank and run car. Also check the wire connection going from battery to the altenator. do you know if this is the original altenator ? also how many miles are on this van ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
from what i know it was replaced befopre we bought it in may. the van has 93184 miles

well I do not know what else to tell you if your battery and altenator test good, other than it may just be a cheap quality altenator and its testing good but is on its way to going bad. sorry I can't guide you any further, but as of now I would say i agree with your husband on the altenator theory. Hope I have helped some what.

well I finally found something that relates to your problem hope this helps this is a GM bulletin (common problem)

Some customers may comment that the interior and/or the exterior lamps vary in intensity (flicker).

Replace the voltage regulator attaching screw with the screw and washer from the service kit following the procedure outlined below.

Disconnect the battery cable.
Remove the wiper module cover (U-Van).

Remove the voltage regulator ground screw (1). (This is the recessed screw located 1/3 of the way from the large battery cable attachment to the generator harness.) Use a stubby #2 Phillips screwdriver to break it loose and then loosen the screw with a small pocket screwdriver. The screw may hang up on the plastic cover on the rear of the generator. If this happens, use a pocket screwdriver inserted between the screw and the cover. The screw will pop out when a little sideways pressure is applied.
Install the screw and washer from the kit through the voltage regulator and into the generator case.
Tighten the screw securely.
Replace the wiper module cover.
Reconnect the battery cable.
Tighten the cable to 15 N?m (11 lb ft).

Parts Information
Part Number

Kit, Screw for Bosch Generator