goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

2006 cobalt: shifter..it up but the saftey switch wont release

Customer Question

the button on my 2006 cobalt AT shifter gets stuck not allowing me to remove the key. some spray freed it up but the saftey switch wont release. how do i revove the shiter to replace it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  richardndawnc replied 5 years ago.
Hi, and Welcome !
it is not the shifter that the issue, there's a small cable that run's from the shifter to the ignition , this cable may be stretched, or it may have came out of one of the mounting points, if the car is still under warranty ( less than 36,000 miles) GM will fix this issue as long as they can duplicate it. It is a very aggravatingto replace this cable, as you will nee dto remove most of the lower dash and the center console, but this is uor issue, it is not the shifter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I really think its the shifter because if u play with the spring loaded button , u can can somtimes here it ckick and release the key to the off postion.

the cable is connected to the button , as it releases the button ,so you can press it to take it out of gear once the ingintion is turned on. with the ignition off, you will not be able to press the button to take the car out of gear, but if it is the shifter, it is going to be one of the cams that are working of fthe cable, have been in automotive business for over 20 years and have never replaced a shifter assembly.
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 5 years ago.

just helping out expert richardndawnc. you probably do have a shifter problem. here is some info on how to check this problem out.

Various Concerns with Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Replace Shifter Assembly/Shifter Components or Ignition Lock Cylinder) - (Jun 27, 2006)

Subject:Various Concerns With Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Replace Shifter Assembly/Shifter Components or Ignition Lock Cylinder )

Models:2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)
2007 Pontiac G5
with Automatic Transmission 4T45-E (RPO MN5)

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:

The shifter is hard to move or binds.
They cannot remove the ignition key.
It takes high effort to rotate the key.

Cause 1

The shifter button may be sticking in the handle.

Cause 2

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position (refer to illustration above). This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer will not be able to remove the key from the ignition.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

The illustration above shows the switch in a correct position.

Cause 3

Metal flashing left in the cylinder may cause a high effort to rotate the key.

Cause 4

The slider may be binding in the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate.

Correction 1

Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced.

Correction 2

Important: A change has been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).

Verify that the micro switch is out of position. Replace the shifter assembly.

Correction 3

Important: Refer to instruction sheet that is supplied with the lock cylinder kit. BO 47869 is an essential staking tool and must be used for the repair.

Replace the ignition lock cylinder.

Correction 4

Replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following the procedure below:

1. Apply the parking brake.
  2. Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
  3. Remove shifter knob.
  4. Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.
  5. Remove the shifter indicator lens.
  6. Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.
  7. Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.
  8. Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.
  9. Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear.

Important: Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.

10. Install the shift indicator lens.
  11. Install the shift indicator plate.
  12. Install the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
  13. Install the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

15244165

Control Asm, A/Trans

1

15825311

Cylinder Kit

1

22706231

Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, TY8, VY7)

1

22706232

Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AJ, AK and MN5; Model AL with MN5 [exc VY7])

1

22719080

Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, VY7 [exc TY8]; Model AM with MN5; Model AL with MN5, R1V)

1

15872229

Slide Indicator

1

15872228

Guide - Rails

2

15872230

Lens

1

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok the shifter botton is stuck in the handle, can i remove the button cover nad realighn the micro switch or should i replace shifter assbly

the best repair is replacing the shifter assembly if the problem is cause two, which most of the time this is the problem on this vehicle. the is a redesigned shifter assembly to correct this concern. If you need the instructions for shifter let me know and I can provide that info!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please tell me how to change shifter assembly. thanx

Console Front Trim Plate Replacement
Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: LF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedure

Remove the console rear trim.

1

Plate Assembly, Floor Console Transmission Shifter Opening

Tip
Disconnect the electrical connectors.

2

Clip, Trim Plate

Important: Place the shift control in NEUTRAL before attempting to remove the shift knob screw.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Pull the shift knob bezel (1) down to expose the shift knob retaining screw.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Remove the shift knob retaining screw (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Remove the shift knob (1) and bezel (2) from the shift control lever.
  •  

• Remove the console trim plate.
  • If necessary, remove the shift control knob. Object Number: 851244  Size: SH

• Remove the shift cable retaining clip.
  • Disconnect the shift cable from the shift control assembly.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Disconnect the shift lock solenoid harness connector (4).
  • Remove the shift control nuts (2).
  • Remove the shift control (3) from the vehicle.
  • goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified