just helping out expert richardndawnc. you probably do have a shifter problem. here is some info on how to check this problem out.
Various Concerns with Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Replace Shifter Assembly/Shifter Components or Ignition Lock Cylinder) - (Jun 27, 2006)
|Subject:||Various Concerns With Shifter and/or Ignition Key (Replace Shifter Assembly/Shifter Components or Ignition Lock Cylinder )|
|Models:||2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt|
|2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)|
|with Automatic Transmission 4T45-E (RPO MN5)|
Some customers may comment on any of the following concerns:
| • ||The shifter is hard to move or binds.|
| • ||They cannot remove the ignition key.|
| • ||It takes high effort to rotate the key.|
The shifter button may be sticking in the handle.
The pin that activates the micro-switch may have moved out of position (refer to illustration above). This causes the micro-switch to fail to engage when the vehicle is placed in Park. If this condition is present, the customer will not be able to remove the key from the ignition.
The illustration above shows the switch in a correct position.
Metal flashing left in the cylinder may cause a high effort to rotate the key.
The slider may be binding in the guides. This may cause the shifter to become difficult to operate.
Verify that the shifter button is inoperative by evaluating if the park pawl pin on the shifter assembly moves when activating the button. If the parking pawl does not move when the button is activated, the shifter handle will have to be replaced.
Important: A change has been made to the shifter assembly for service. The replacement shifter assembly will read PRNDIL (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Intermediate and Low).
Verify that the micro switch is out of position. Replace the shifter assembly.
Important: Refer to instruction sheet that is supplied with the lock cylinder kit. BO 47869 is an essential staking tool and must be used for the repair.
Replace the ignition lock cylinder.
Replace the slide indicator and guides in the shifter following the procedure below:
- Apply the parking brake.
- Remove the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
- Remove shifter knob.
- Remove the indicator plate. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver to release the locking tabs.
- Remove the shifter indicator lens.
- Pull up on the indicator and remove it from the assembly.
- Remove the two front rails by unsnapping the front and lifting up, and then back, to remove the rails from the shifter assembly.
- Install the new guides. Place the hook end into the assembly and push down. It will snap into place.
- Install the new slide indicator. With the transmission in neutral, place the slide over the shifter and into the guides. Move the slide indicator down the guides in the front and rear.
Important: Replace the shifter indicator lens if damage is present due to the slider binding or if it becomes damaged during disassembly.
- Install the shift indicator lens.
- Install the shift indicator plate.
- Install the shifter knob. Refer to Floor Shifter Control Knob Replacement in SI.
- Install the upper console trim. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement-Console Front in SI.
Control Asm, A/Trans
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, TY8, VY7)
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AJ, AK and MN5; Model AL with MN5 [exc VY7])
Handle, A/Trans Cont Lvr (Model AL with MN5, VY7 [exc TY8]; Model AM with MN5; Model AL with MN5, R1V)
Guide - Rails