RussMasterTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years of GM Dealership experience. ASE Master with L1 and GM Master Certified in Electrical

2004 Colorado LS: a vibration in the front end between 25 and 35 mph

Customer Question

On a 2004 Colorado LS I have a vibration in the front end between 25 and 35 mph
Category: Chevy
Expert:  RussMasterTech replied 7 years ago.

Hello James,

Is this a new concern? Have you tried doing anything to correct it as of yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had my tront end aligned. I bought this turck used and have had this problem since.

The Colorado trucks have a known issue with the tires wearing unevenly. Since you've already done the alignment, I would start with the tires. Try rotating them first. If the shake goes to the rear, then you know it is one of the tires that was on the front. A low speed shake or shimmy like you are describing is most likely a shifted belt in one of the tires. Balancing the tires won't help a condition like this.

If you have a shop nearby that has a Hunter Balancer that can measure road force variance, you could try that as well. This machine will measure the tires to make sure they are "Round" and not egg shaped. This should help you pinpoint which tire is causing the problem.

I hope this is the answer you needed. If not, let me know.

If this "Answer" was helpful, please make sure to click the "Accept" button so I may receive credit for assisting you. Positive feedback would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just put new tires on the vehicle

I apologize. You didn't mention that you had done that.

Does the vibration seem like it is wheel speed related? Is it more of a ujoint type vibration that only happens when you take off from a stop?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It starts at approx. 25-28 mph and goes away at 35 mph.