BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

ls: silverado..z71 extended cab..heater is not working.

Customer Question

i have a 2000 silverado ls z71 extended cab. The heater is not working. The bottom blend door actuator is working. The two hoses going to the dash from the engine compartment... one gets hot the other does not. I was told it was the top actuator which is the hardest to get to and the entire dash must come out to reach it. I have all of the bottom of the dash and middle console out. But i can't seem to figure out how to remove the rest of the top and specifically the passenger air bag. Is the top actuator the problem or could it be heater core and is there trick to removing that passenger airbag?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BigBob replied 8 years ago.
Greetings,

You have to have hot water on both hoses before getting heat in the cab. You may need to flush out the heater core or replace if both hoses are not really hot. The temp actuator is not on top, it is actually on the bottom. The top actuator is not your problem. graphic
Good luck,
Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does the entire dash have to come out to replace the heater core?
Expert:  BigBob replied 8 years ago.
What size motor do you have?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
5.3 v8.... its silverado z71 LS
Expert:  BigBob replied 8 years ago.
If it need a heater core the book shows 5-6 hours to replace. You don't have to pull dash completely but close to it. I would try flushing the heater core first, then see if you can get heat.

Good luck,
Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help... i wil ltry that some time this week hopefully. Have You taken out the passenger air back before... i think that is the only thing holding up removing the top part of the dash?
Expert:  BigBob replied 8 years ago.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

CAUTION:

• Refer to SIR Handling Caution in Cautions and Notices.
  • Refer to Inflator Module Handling And Storage Caution in Cautions and Notices.graphic
  • Disable the SIR system.
  • Remove upper IP trim panel to access the two of the four bolts.
  • Open the instrument panel compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.
  • Remove the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector (1) at the left side of the mounting bracket.
  • Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) (2) from the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector (1).graphic
  • Remove the inflatable restraint IP module (1) from the front of the instrument panel. Ensure that you keep a firm hold of the IP module.
  • Remove the inflatable restraint IP module yellow pigtail connector (2) from the yellow 2-way electrical harness connector (3).
  • Remove the fasteners attaching the inflatable restraint IP module to the mounting bracket.

Bob
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok thanks again for your help... that looks somewhat like what im seeing.... the whole thing is lose.. i have all 4 bolts out but it seems like somethign is holding it at the top... maybe its just some clips and i need to use a little more force. I just wanted to make sure because i dont want to break or crack that dash. Again thanks
Expert:  BigBob replied 8 years ago.

Your Welcome

Bob