Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.

I have a Chevy S-10 / 4.3L. Have a coolant leak. When pressured

I have a Chevy S-10 / 4.3L. Have a coolant leak. When pressured its looks like the leak is coming out of the top of the left value cover? Advise
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

You did not include the year of the truck but the 4.3 is pretty much the same on most years. It sounds like you have a lower intake gasket leaking, this is a very common spot for them to leak on this engine. Below is a repair proceedure. Please ask if you have further questions.

Intake Manifold Replacement (Lower)

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct from the throttle body.
  3. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
    Object Number: 1386  Size: SH

4. Drain the cooling system.
  5. Remove the radiator inlet hose at the water outlet.
  6. Remove the heater hose from the intake manifold.
  7. Remove the water pump inlet hose form the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 398027  Size: SH
  8. Disconnect the accelerator control cable from the throttle shaft and the accelerator cable bracket.
  9. Disconnect the cruise control cable, if equipped from the throttle shaft and the accelerator cable bracket.
  10. Remove the accelerator cable bracket from the throttle body and the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 339439  Size: SH

11. Remove the accelerator and the cruise control cable bracket from the throttle bracket.

Leave the accelerator and cruise control cables and the wiring harness on the bracket.

Object Number: 229077  Size: SH

12. Remove the following electrical connectors:
    The fuel meter body assembly
    The EVAP canister purge solenoid valve
    The idle air control (IAC) motor
    The throttle position (TP) sensor
    The A/C compressor high pressure switch, if equipped
    The A/C clutch switch, if equipped
    The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
    The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
    The ignition coil
    The ignition control module (ICM)
  13. Remove the engine wiring harness from the retainers.
  14. Move the engine wiring harness aside.
  15. Remove the distributor.
    Object Number: 172982  Size: SH

16. Remove the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve inlet pipe from the intake and exhaust manifold.
  17. Disconnect the fuel supply and return pipes at the rear of the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 346148  Size: SH

18. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the intake manifold, if equipped with A/C.
  19. Disconnect the vacuum brake booster hose
    Object Number: 172995  Size: SH

20. Disconnect the PCV hose assembly from the intake manifold and the valve rocker arm cover.
  21. Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.
    Object Number: 340090  Size: SH

Important: Do not discharge the refrigerant.

22. Perform the following in order to remove the left front bolt for the intake manifold:
    22.1. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement .
    22.2. Loosen the nut for the power steering pump rear bracket at the side of the engine.
    22.3. Remove the secondary air injection (AIR) reactor pipe bracket nut from the power steering pump rear bracket front stud, if equipped.
    22.4. Remove the nut for the power steering pump rear bracket at the front of the engine.
    22.5. Remove the bolts and the nut for the power steering pump mounting bracket.
    22.6. Leave the A/C compressor, if equipped, and the power steering pump on the power steering pump mounting bracket.
    22.7. Slide the power steering pump bracket forward to access the bolt at the front of the intake manifold.

Object Number: 31510  Size: SH

23. Remove the lower intake manifold.
  24. Clean all sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 31510  Size: SH

Notice: Proper lower intake manifold fastener tightening sequence and torque is critical. Always follow the tightening sequence, and torque the intake manifold bolts using the 3 step method. Failing to do so may distort the crankshaft bearing bore alignment and cause damage to the crankshaft bearings.

1. Install the lower intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Installation .
    Object Number: 340090  Size: SH

2. Position the power steering pump mounting bracket.
  3. Loosely install the power steering pump mounting bracket bolts and nuts.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the nut for the power steering pump rear bracket at the front of the engine.

Tighten
    Tighten the power steering pump mounting bracket bolts and the power steering pump rear bracket nuts to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

5. Install the AIR reactor pipe bracket nut to the power steering pump rear bracket front stud, if equipped.

Tighten
    Tighten the AIR reactor pipe bracket nut to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

6. Install the drive belt.
  7. Install the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve. Object Number: 346148  Size: SH

8. Connect the vacuum brake booster hose.
  9. Connect the vacuum hose to the intake manifold, if equipped with A/C.
    Object Number: 172995  Size: SH
  10. Install the PCV hose assembly to the intake manifold and the valve rocker arm cover.
  11. Install the fuel supply and return pipes to the rear of the intake manifold.
    Object Number: 172982  Size: SH

12. Install the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve inlet pipe to the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold.

Tighten

1. Tighten the EGR valve inlet pipe intake manifold nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).
    2. Tighten the EGR valve inlet pipe exhaust manifold nut to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
    3. Tighten the EGR valve inlet pipe clamp bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 334551  Size: SH

Important: In order to install the distributor for the correct engine timing, position the engine to number one cylinder top dead center.

13. Remove the spark plug for number one cylinder.
  14. Rotate the crankshaft until number one cylinder is in the compression stroke.
  15. Align the two reference marks on the crankshaft balancer (1) and (4) with the two alignment marks (2) and (3) on the front cover.
  16. Install the spark plug.
  17. Install the distributor.
    Object Number: 229077  Size: SH

18. Position the engine wiring harness.
  19. Install the engine wiring harness in the retainers.
  20. Install the following electrical connectors:
    The fuel meter body assembly
    The EVAP canister purge solenoid valve
    The idle air control (IAC) motor
    The throttle position (TP) sensor
    The A/C compressor high pressure switch, if equipped.
    The A/C compressor clutch switch, if equipped.
    The ignition coil
    The ignition control module (ICM)

Object Number: 339439  Size: SH

21. Install the accelerator cable and cruise control bracket to the throttle body.

Tighten
    Tighten the accelerator cable and cruise control bracket nuts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).

Object Number: 398027  Size: SH

22. Install the accelerator cable bracket to the intake manifold and the throttle body.

Tighten
    Tighten the accelerator cable bracket studs and nuts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

23. Install the accelerator control cable to the bracket and the throttle shaft.
  24. Install the cruise control cable, if equipped to the bracket and the throttle shaft. .
    Object Number: 1386  Size: SH

25. Install the water pump inlet hose to the intake manifold.
  26. Install the heater hose to the intake manifold.
  27. Install the radiator inlet hose to the water outlet.
  28. Fill the cooling system.
  29. Install the air cleaner assembly.
  30. Install the air cleaner outlet duct to the throttle body.
  31. Connect the battery negative cable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is this repair? What would a average dealere charge for this repaiur? Truck is a 2001, 4WD
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

For someone that has done one before I would call it about a 6. If you have never done it it's more like an 8-9. It's not terribly difficult but labor intensive. There is risk of getting the engine out of time if you do not mark the distributor directly and risk of dammaging the injectors if you are not careful takeing them out.

I don't have access to parts pricing at home so the best I can do for you on a price is an educated guess. I would guess around $150 in parts and 5 to 6 hours in labor. Everyone's labor rate is different, the shop I work at charges $93. So my labor rate plus parts would be around $700.

There are some things I would say definately go to the dealer for, this isn't one of them. Any competent shop should be able to complete this job just as well as the dealer and will probably come in at a much lower price. Please ask if you have further questions.

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Mike........

Ken Boval

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for accepting Ken and thank you for choosing Just Answer.