Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.

My 2000 Chevy Astro van is running very cold. The temp gauge

Customer Question

My 2000 Chevy Astro van is running very cold. The temp gauge has always read about halfway on the scale, and now it is less than 1/4. What would cause that, thermostat? And how hard is that to change for a mechanically inclined guy with no automotive experience? Where is it exactly? (the thermostat)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

It sounds like you do need a thermostat. You could also have a bad fan clutch keeping the fan fully engaged at all times. I have included instructions for a thermostat replacement. It is a little tight but I wouldn't rank it as hard just time consuming. Please ask if you have further questions.

Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    Object Number: 281852  Size: SH

2. Remove the air cleaner cover by releasing the retainer clips.
  3. Remove the air cleaner element.
    Object Number: 281851  Size: SH

4. Disconnect the MAF sensor harness connector.
    Object Number: 315353  Size: SH

5. Remove the air cleaner cover and MAF sensor by loosening the hose clamp.
    Object Number: 315350  Size: SH

6. Clear out any debris in the air cleaner tub.
  7. Remove the air cleaner tub by pulling upward on the tub until the mounting grommets are free from the mounting studs.

Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: In order to avoid being burned, do not service the engine while it is still hot. Service the engine when it is cool.

1. Drain the coolant to a level below the thermostat.
  2. Object Number: 48323  Size: SH

3. Disconnect the ground lead from the coolant outlet.
  4. Remove the bolt/stud and the bolt on the coolant outlet.
  5. Remove the coolant outlet.
  6. Remove the thermostat.
  7. Clean all of the parts and the sealing surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 48323  Size: SH

1. Install the thermostat.
  2. Install the coolant outlet.

3. Install the bolt and the bolt/stud.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt and the bolt/stud to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

4. Install the ground lead to the bolt/stud.
  5. Install the air cleaner assembly. Reverse of removal.
  6. Refill the coolant.
  7. Start the engine. After the engine reaches normal operating temperature, check for coolant leaks.
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Mike,

Thanks a lot. It worked like a charm. After cursing for a half hour or so trying to get the bolts loosened up, it all went smoothly. New thermostat and the temp went right back up to normal. You may want to recommend having a close quarters ratchet in the future, but thanks for the info.

Tom E.

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Tom,

I'm glad you got it fixed. I wish I would have thought about that close quarters ratchet thing but I usually bust my knuckles and curse with my air ratchet in hand.

Thank you for the accept, bonus and positive feedback. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a good weekend and holliday season.