Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
12771247

2000 Chevy metro: the proper procedure for replacing timing belt

What is the proper procedure for replacing timing belt and setting timing for 2000 Chevy metro 1.3?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello and welcome to just answer.

Timing Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

2. Object Number: 261787  Size: SH

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

4. Object Number: 262535  Size: SH

5. Remove the 8 bolts and the 1 nut which secure the timing belt cover. Remove the timing belt cover (12).

6. Object Number: 262569  Size: SH

7. Before removing the timing belt (1), align the upper timing marks and the lower timing marks by turning the crankshaft.

8. Object Number: 262565  Size: SH
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

1. Ensure that the upper timing marks (1, 2) are aligned.

2. Object Number: 262549  Size: SH

3. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt (2) and the stud (1).
  4. After pushing up the tensioner plate completely with your finger, remove the belt from the crankshaft timing belt pulley and from the camshaft timing belt pulley.
  5. Notice: After timing belt is removed, never turn camshaft and crankshaft independently. If turned, interference may occur among pistons and valves, and parts related to pistons and valves may be damaged.

6. Remove the tensioner.
  7. Remove the tensioner plate.
  8. Remove the tensioner spring and the spring damper.

9. Object Number: 262558  Size: SH

10. Inspect the timing belt for wear or for cracks. Replace the belt as necessary.

11. Object Number: 262559  Size: SH

12. Inspect the timing belt tensioner for smooth rotation.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
THE INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Object Number: 262561  Size: SH

1. Install the tensioner plate to the timing belt tensioner. Insert the tensioner plate lug (1) into the timing belt tensioner hole (2).

2. Object Number: 262549  Size: SH

3. Install the timing belt tensioner and the tensioner plate to the cylinder block. Secure the tensioner and the tensioner plate with one bolt (2) and with one stud (1). Do not tighten completely.
  4. Ensure that the plate movement in the direction of the arrow causes the tensioner to move in the same direction. If the tensioner does not move in the same direction, remove the tensioner and the tensioner plate.Reinsert the tensioner plate lug in the timing plate tensioner hole.

5. Object Number: 262565  Size: SH
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
  1. Ensure that you align the mark on the camshaft timing belt pulley (2) with the V on the inside of the timing belt cover (1).

2. Object Number: 262566  Size: SH

3. Ensure that the punch mark on the crankshaft timing belt pulley (2) is aligned with the arrow mark on the oil pump case (1).

4. Object Number: 262549  Size: SH

5. Install the timing belt.
  6. Important: Match the arrow mark on the timing belt with the rotating direction of the crankshaft, when installing the timing belt.

1. Align the timing marks.
    2. Push the tensioner plate up.
    3. Install the timing belt.
    4. Install the tensioner spring. Ensure that there is not any slack in the timing belt.
    5. Install the tensioner stud, and tighten the stud only by hand.

7. After you install the timing belt, turn the crankshaft 2 rotations clockwise. This will take up the slack in the timing belt.

8. Tighten the timing belt tensioner stud (1).
  9. Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt tensioner stud to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

10. Secure the timing belt tensioner bolt.
  11. Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt tensioner bolt to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

12. Confirm again that both sets of timing marks are aligned correctly.

13. Object Number: 177971  Size: SH

14. Ensure that the coolant pump-to-oil case seals (2) are in place before you install the timing belt cover.

15. Object Number: 262535  Size: SH

16. Install the timing belt cover (12). Secure the timing belt cover with the 8 bolts and with the 1 nut.
  17. Tighten
    Tighten the timing belt cover nut and the bolts to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

18. Install the crankshaft pulley.
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience: Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
has this information worked for you?

best regards,
Billy