Billy
Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector

HOW TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING/BUSHING

Customer Question

HOW TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING/BUSHING ON A 1998 CHEVY TAHOE 4WD ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello and welcome to just answer.

here is some information you have requested about the rear seal, bushing and bearing replacement. once the rear extension housing is removed you can use a press to remove the bushing.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Billy.

Rear Extension Housing Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the rear propeller shaft.
  3. Remove the yoke.

4. Object Number: 2233  Size: SH

5. Remove the four bolts that secure the rear extension housing to the rear retainer housing.
  6. Remove the rear extension housing from the rear retainer housing.

Tap the extension housing with a rubber mallet in order to free the rear retainer housing.

Object Number: 2234  Size: SH

7. Remove the rear bearing retainer snap ring.
  8. Remove the five bolts securing the rear retainer housing to the transfer case.
  9. Remove the rear retainer housing.
  10. Remove the seal.
  11. Use a screwdriver. Do not damage the sealing bore.

12. Clean the gasket surfaces with a suitable solvent.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the rear retainer housing.
  2. Make sure the gasket surfaces are clean and free of grease and oil.
    Apply the RTV sealer GM P/N 12345739 to the rear retainer housing sealing surfaces.

3. Secure the rear retainer housing to the transfer case with the five bolts.
  4. Apply GM P/N 12345382 or the equivalent to the threads of the bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the rear retainer housing bolts to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

5. Install the snap ring.
  6. Install the rear extension housing to the transfer case.
  7. Clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly.
    Apply RTV sealer GM P/N 12345739 to the rear extension housing sealing surfaces.
  8. Install the four bolts that secure the rear extension housing to the rear retainer housing.
  9. Apply GM P/N 12345382 or the equivalent to the threads of the bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the rear extension housing bolts to 31 N·m (23 lb ft).

10. Install the seal.
  11. Lubricate the seal lips with transmission oil or with petroleum jelly.
    Install the seal
  12. Install the rear propeller shaft and the yoke.
  13. Inspect the transfer case oil level. Add oil if necessary. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I HAVE REPLACED TAIL SHAFT BUSHINGS BEFORE. I RAN INTO THE PROBLEM WHEN I DIDN'T SEE THE BOLTS THAT REMOVE THE TAIL SHAFT EXTENSION HOUSING ON MY 1998 CHEVY TAHOE 4WD.
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.
hello again,

sorry, your question is...?
You were inquiring about "OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING/BUSHING"
Not sure what type of information are you looking for?

Best regards,
Billy