GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 2004 Chevy Suburban is vibrating when I accelerate or step

My 2004 Chevy Suburban is vibrating when I accelerate or step on the gas pedel along with the oil pressure gauge rising from 40 to 60 at the same time. When you are not accelerating there is no vibration and no change in the oil pressure guage.
WelcomeCustomer Does this only happen when you are driving? If so, what speeds?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Only when you accelerate, step on the gas, not when cruising
SO sitting there with the truck in park and stepping in the gas.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No.......By cruising I meant driving......I have not tried the scenerio in park...I'll try and reply again.....

Ok. Where do you feel the vibration the most?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I just drove to lunch and back and the vibrations feels like it's coming from the engine area and only when I'm driving and speeding up or accelerating. Not at a stand still or if i'm driving 35 mph constantly

Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. What I think is happening is you have a bad u-joint. Once you accelerate or put a load on the drive line, the u-joint is causing the vibration. Chances are very good as well that you have more a clunk when you shift into reverse or drive from park, and that you may have had a squeak a bit ago, but it has gone away. The rise in oil pressure us normal. When you increase the engine RPM, the oil pressure will change. I the engine light is not on or has not been flashing, then chances are very good it is not in the engine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Engine light was on several weeks ago but went off..........I thought about U Joints but I have never noticed the neddle move so radically on the oil pressure gauge. I have a hand held engine diagnostic device....I'll read the stored code...that should help
The needle movement could also be a cluster issue. There is special policy on them HERE is a copy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm heading to the mechanic now......I'll let you know what they say
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

U Joints it was................Rear and Fronts

Thanks for your help!

Thats great. Not too bad to fix.