Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2002 chevy s10: I am replacing the Heater Core..ventilation

I have a 2002 chevy s10 ZR2. I am replacing the Heater Core. I removed the dash and now I am having issues getting the heater ventilation unit off. How do you do that? How many bolts are there? Where do you access them? This is the last thing I need to do before I can change out the Heater core. PLease Help.

You have the complete dash removed? All you need to do is remove the complete hvac unit is this correct?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. the unit behind the dash. the dash is completely out. I removed a bolt at the bottum, and the one in the engine compartment under the blower resister. where are the rest
Sorry for the delay. I will be right back with this info! Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks

Ok here is how you are going to need to remove the complete hvac module. Feel free to contact me with any questions on this procedure! Good luck!

Object Number: 617612  Size: SH

• Drain the engine coolant.
  • On vehicles with automatic climate control only, cut the outer layer of the A/C evaporator and blower module in order to access the service access cover.
    Object Number: 617623  Size: SH

• On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover mounting screws (1).
  • On vehicles with automatic climate control only, remove the service access cover (2).
  • On vehicles without automatic climate control, remove the blower motor resistor.

Important: Mark and use the same mounting bolt for the heater/vent module during the installation process. Other mounting bolts are longer and will obstruct the operation of the temperature door.

• Remove the heat/vent module mounting bolt through the blower motor resistor or service access cover opening.
    Object Number: 1595  Size: SH

• On vehicles with A/C only, remove the right wheel house panel.
  • On vehicles with A/C only, raise and support vehicle.
  • On vehicles with A/C only, remove the front right tire.
  • On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield screws.
  • On the Utility only, slide the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield toward the front of the vehicle.
  • Remove the 2 lower heat/vent module mounting nuts.
  • On the Utility only, remove the A/C evaporator and blower module heat shield bracket.
  • Remove the bottom right heat/vent module mounting bolt from inside the vehicle.

Important: The heat/vent mounting stud has a flange on the inside and cannot be removed from under the hood. Stop turning the stud after the threads are off the heat/vent module.

• On the Utility only, while an assistant inside the vehicle pulls the bottom right corner of the heat/vent module approximately 2.5 mm (1 in) back, remove the 2 heat/vent module mounting studs.
  • On vehicles with A/C only, lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 529580  Size: SH
  • Remove the HVAC module mounting bolt located at the lower left side of the heater core to heater hose connection.
  • Remove the HVAC module mounting nut located at the lower right side of the heater core to heater connection.

• On the Utility only, loosen the HVAC module mounting studs until the threads are free from the heat/vent module.
  • Disconnect all of the electrical connectors from the HVAC module.
  • Disconnect all of the vacuum lines from the heater assembly.
  • Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
  • Remove the HVAC module from the vehicle.
  • Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry... Ok I have AC only. I removed the bolt under blower resister and the bottum one under the unit. Are the rest under the right wheel well? How many total bolts are left for me to remove?

Yes the wheel well hides 3 of them. Then there is the nut out under the hood near the heater hose. This sounds like all you would need to remove.
    Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Great thanks. I will not be able to get to this till thursday or friday. If I run into issues will i still be able to contact you?
    Sure you can log back in here and post back to me and I will get back to you asap!