Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
13428174

1994 Chevrolet: Pickup..Throttle body..Starts fine when warm..cranking

Customer Question

1994 Chevrolet Pickup V-8 Throttle body injection automatic. Starts fine when warm. When it sits for a while it takes 20+ seconds of cranking to get it to start. One of the codes we pulled was Low voltage to fuel relay. I feel like the fuel pressure is leaking off and it takes awhile to build back up after sitting. We tried turinin key on and off about 4 times and truck started fine. What could the problem be? Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 8 years ago.
I'm GW. This is a common problem. I usually find the check valve in the fuel pump has failed, allowing the fuel in the fuel lines to return to the tank. And that creates air in the system. When the key is turned to the run position, the ECM turns on the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds, and that is not enough to remove the air in the fuel lines, causing an extended crank time.. If you need to perform a leak-down test, and have the tooling to measure fuel pressure, I can further assist.