GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

97 Tahoe: blink..encoder moter..actuator..my four wheel drive

Customer Question

I have the nv243 in my 97 Tahoe, ane the selector switch just blink. I can hear the encoder moter working and I have replaced the actuator. Snow is here and I need my four wheel drive. What am I missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Since installing the encoder have you tested this system for trouble codes or cleared the old trouble codes?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
I see that you went offline. The first thing you need to do is clear any trouble codes that may have set in the 4wd system. I would do this by removing the fuse labeled TCASE in the instrument panel fuse box and keeping it out for ten minutes. This will clear all trouble codes within this system. The reinstall the fuse and check operation of the 4wd. If it is still not functioning properly, we will need to go further. Let me know how you make out! Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The encoder was not replaced. I replacerd the actuator. AI can hear the encoder motor engaging when the 4hi and 4 low are being pushed. I have though pulled the fuse, checked it, and let it set for 10 minutes like you suggested and still got the same results.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok then I think we really need to start by testing this system for trouble codes. Here is how this is done. If you have any questions throughout this let me know and I will assist you as best as I can.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I jump'd 13 and ground and got no DTC's. I wasnt sure if I was doing it correctly, so I borrowed a code reader (CAN OBD2) and no stored DTC's came up. Are you starting to feel like me yet? Thanks for all of your help.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Ok first of all I would like you to verify that this scan tool has the ability to read body failure codes. It sounds as though it would, but I just would like you to verify this. Simple trouble code readers do not have this ability. I am also wondering if you have the ability to lift this complete vehicle and set it into 4wd to see if you get any engagement of the front drive shaft.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Code reader reads Body, Chassis, and Powertrain. I have lifted up the rear end by the hitch, engaged theXXXXXin both Hi and Low, then put it into drive slowly letting off of the brake. Tahoe kik not move.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Ok it does sound as though this scan tool would certainly be picking up on a problem like this. My concern here is that you are hearing the 4wd encoder operate but you have no activation of the front shaft. You also have not trouble codes regarding any problems with the 4wd system electrically. I am assuming that when you replaced the front axle actuator, that you tested this to verify that the actuator was operational?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I have just looking at a Chiltons. Hearing the encoder work, i just looked at the 4x4 digrams I thought that the actuator was the problem since the front axel was not engaging. I just remembered that last winter when theXXXXXstarted acting up, I would crawl under the driver side of the truck and smack the transfer case and theXXXXXwould engage. Does this help any? Could it be the syncronizer?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Well that is what my concern is at this point that this would be an internal shift problem in your transfer case. This can come from many things and the only way you could be certain would be by dismantling the transfer case. I think it might be best to get a second opinion on this. I am going to opt out and send this question to other online experts to see what input that may have. I may be overlooking something and I would rather not cost you tearing down a transfer case or anything of that nature. Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Carhelp4youhere contacted me and asked me to look. After reading your posts, I think you issue could be the shifter assembly. You post about hitting it makes think that. I would remove the shifter assembly and try to shift the transfer case with a wrench. you should be able to get it into 4hi and 4lo, and there will be spots where you feel spring pressure. That is when you are trying to apply the front drive clutch. For now, lets just see if we can get high and low. Also, draining the fluid and looking the drain hole at the magnet you will see if there is any debris caught around the oil pick up. let me know what you find.