im-not-guilty
im-not-guilty, caropractor
Experience:  10 years plus gm technician. ase master tech. gm trained

2000 chevy impala: the high pressure power steering line

Customer Question

where is the high pressure power steering line on a 2000 chevy impala with a 3.4? And what is the name of the power steering line thats on the right side by the wheel?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  im-not-guilty replied 5 years ago.

the return hose is the one that runs on the right side by the wheel.

the high psi line is the one that attaches to the pump with a fitting you remove the fitting with a 16mm wrench

the return line attaches to the pump with a hose clamp

im-not-guilty, caropractor
Experience: 10 years plus gm technician. ase master tech. gm trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the quick answer I have one more related question though. Does the return line run next to another metal line?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

This may help you.

Power Steering Pressure Pipe/Hose Replacement (3.4L)

1. Place a drain pan under the vehicle.
    Object Number: 515071  Size: SH

2. Remove the power steering pressure line from the power steering pump.
  3. Remove the power steering pressure line from the power steering lines retaining bracket on the engine.
    Object Number: 417973  Size: SH

4. Remove the power steering line from the power steering gear performing the following steps:
    4.1. The power steering pressure line is the lower line at the power steering gear.
    4.2. Using a 18 mm (crow's foot line wrench with a 2 foot long, 3/8 inch drive extension.
    4.3. Access the line from the engine compartment, between the rocker arm cover and the front of the dash mat.
  5. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Object Number: 469241  Size: SH

6. Remove the power steering pressure line (1) from the clamps on the power steering gear.
  7. Remove the power steering pressure line (1) from the vehicle.

Object Number: 469241  Size: SH

1. Install the power steering pressure line (1) to the vehicle.
  2. Install the power steering pressure line (1) to the clamps on the power steering gear.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 417973  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the power steering pressure line to the power steering gear.

Use a 18 mm crow's foot line wrench with a 2 foot long, 3/8 inch drive extension.

Tighten
    Tighten the power steering pressure line fitting to the power steering gear to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

5. Install the power steering pressure line to the power steering lines retaining bracket on the engine.
    Object Number: 515071  Size: SH

6. Install the power steering pressure line to the power steering pump.

Tighten
    Tighten the power steering pressure line fitting to the power steering pump to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

7. Fill the power steering system with power steering fluid. Bleed the power steering system. Inspect the power steering system for leaks.