goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified
5720312

i have a 2006 chevy cobalt LS - my car indicator shows loss

i have a 2006 chevy cobalt LS - my car indicator shows loss of engine power simply my car does not have any power , at one time my car wouldn;t start so please tell me what could be my problem thank you.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JA!! do you have any warning lights on? other than the reduce power indicator?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes my engine light stays on along with ' engine power failure' note when i say egine light i mean the symbol of an engine

Ok, that would be the check engine light. what all this means, there is a problem with the electronic throttle control system. this vehicle doesnt have a throttle cable. with the check engine light being on, the first place to start is to have the system scanned for codes. this would be where the diag starts. this would give us a trouble code. there some different things that can cause a problem with the electronic throttle, which includes poor connections, bad throttle body, a peddle assembly and possibly even a computer problem. this is why a trouble code is so important. there are some parts stores that will scan for free. here is how the system works.

The throttle actuator control (TAC) system delivers improved throttle response and greater reliability and eliminates the need for mechanical cable. The TAC system performs the following functions:

Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensing
Throttle positioning to meet driver and engine demands
Throttle position (TP) sensing
Internal diagnostics
Cruise control functions
Manage TAC electrical power consumption

The TAC system includes the following components:

The APP sensors
The throttle body assembly
The powertrain control module (PCM)

Reduced Engine Power Mode

When the PCM detects a condition with the TAC system, the PCM may enter a reduced engine power mode. Reduced engine power may cause one or more of the following conditions:

Acceleration limiting--The PCM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control; however, the vehicle acceleration is limited.
Limited throttle mode--The PCM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control; however, the maximum throttle opening is limited.
Throttle default mode--The PCM will turn off the throttle actuator motor and the throttle will return to the spring loaded default position.
Forced idle mode--The PCM will perform the following actions:
- Limit engine speed to idle by positioning the throttle position, or by controlling the fuel and spark if the throttle is turned OFF.
- Ignore the accelerator pedal input.
Engine shutdown mode--The PCM will disable fuel and de-energize the throttle actuator.

If there is anything you dont understand, please ask me to explain!!