Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
13303789

How do you clean the exhaust particulate filter on a 2009 Chevy

Customer Question

How do you clean the exhaust particulate filter on a 2009 Chevy Silverado?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

This is a direct copy from the owners manual duramax supplement. If you have already read this and have a question about why this proceedure has not worked please repost and I will continue to work with you.

Diesel Particulate Filter

The vehicle has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) as part of the exhaust system to reduce vehicle emissions. The DPF requires a unique exhaust tailpipe with an exhaust cooler. The exhaust cooler mixes air with the exhaust to lower the temperature before it leaves the tailpipe.

The DPF, the tailpipe, or other exhaust system components must not be altered. Inspect regularly and clean any mud or dirt from the exhaust cooler, especially where the exhaust cooler connects to the tailpipe and the openings where fresh air enters the cooler. See "Exhaust System Inspection" under At Least Once a Year.

The DPF will clean itself as part of normal operation. Several factors including fuel consumed, hours of engine operation and miles driven are monitored by the Engine Control Module (ECM). The self-cleaning occurs approximately once per tank of fuel.

Notice: Permanent damage can occur to the DPF or related components if the required Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (15 ppm sulfur maximum) or low ash CJ-4 engine oil is not used. This damage would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

For the filter to clean itself, the vehicle must be driven above 30 mph (50 km/h) until the warning message goes off. This will take about 20 minutes.

Caution: During DPF self cleaning or during extended idling in P (Park), the exhaust system and exhaust gases are very hot. Things that burn could touch hot exhaust parts under the vehicle and ignite. You or others could be burned. Do not park, or idle for an extended period of time, near or over papers, leaves, dry grass, or other things that can burn. Keep the exhaust area clear of material that could ignite or burn. See Parking Over Things That Burn for more information.

Notice: Extended idle should be avoided because the DPF system is not capable of self cleaning at idle. During extended idle operation, monitor the instrument panel telltale lights and Driver Information Center for messages and take appropriate indicated action. Continued idling with the warning light/message on could cause irreversible damage to the DPF requiring repair and possible replacement that might not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

The DPF warning message comes on when the DPF is dirty and needs to perform a self cleaning. You will also notice a change in the exhaust sound and engine idle speed. This is normal. See DIC Warnings and Messages.

If you continue to drive with the DPF warning message on and the exhaust filter is not cleaned as required, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp and the ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED message will come on and dealer/retailer service is necessary. See Malfunction Indicator Lamp and DIC Warnings and Messages for more information.

Vehicles with DPF have specific fuel and engine oil requirements. See What Fuel to Use and Engine Oil for more information on those requirements.

Extended idling in P (Park) can cause exhaust parts and gases to become very hot. Keep the exhaust area clear of material that could ignite or burn. See Parking Over Things That Burn for more information.

For vehicles with Power Take-Off (PTO), monitor the instrument panel cluster for lights related to the DPF.

All engines consume some amount of engine oil. Ash is the by-product of engine oil combustion. The ash will become trapped in the DPF over the life of the vehicle. Eventually, the buildup of ash will restrict the exhaust gases and the DPF will need to be cleaned or replaced.

See Accessories and Modifications for important information if you are considering adding accessories or modifying the vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The truck will only run about 20mph and we are stuck on the side of the road, is there something we can do to manually clean the filter without voiding the warranty?
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

In a short answer no, any tampering with the system can void the warranty. Once the filter is plugged the only way to do a regeneration is to have it manually done with a scan tool. On a saftey note do not try to remove the filter and shake it out. The contaminants in the filter are highly toxic. When we have to remove one there are special proceedures to be followed to return them without spilling the contents.

Other advice I can offer is if you are in a cold climate perhaps the DPF isn't what is causing the issue. Diesels are prone to the fuel waxing and clogging the fuel filter in cold snaps (mine did it last week). If you can't wait till Monday to get it going I might try replacing the fuel filter and seeing if this gets you going. Some parts stores with tool rental may have a Diesel fuel vacuum gauge that you can use to check to see if this is your issue before you replace the fuel filter.

If that isn't the issue and it is truely the DPF I am afraid this will have to wait for the dealer to perform a manual regeneration. Is there any other things happening that you can tell me about other than only being able to run about 20mph, warning messages, lights on etc. If the DPF message was on prior to the issue how long was it on for?

Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the accept, positive feedback and bonus. If you have further questions about this issue please direct them to this question. You have accepted it and there is no reason to open a new question if you have more to ask later.

Thank you for using Just Answer.