Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
13428174

Corvette: OBDII..scanner..the engine that die after few seconds

Hi, my 1996 LT1 Corvette start and run for few seconds then die. I read the OBDII scanner says error code P0122 (trottle position...). Is there a connectin between the error code P0122 and the engine that die after few seconds? Thank you!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 5 years ago.
I'm GW. Are you using a scanner or code reader?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi GW. I am in Italy and here no technician has experience in corvette engine. I own a Wrangler TJ with 1996 LT1 corvette engine and 4L60E tranny made by Sunray engineering. I have used the car for one month since the arrive from USA and last week end just one time after the start the engine dies after few seconds. After 5/10 attempts the car was working well. Today I have start again the engine and the car makes the same problem. It start but after few seconds the engine dies. I have an easy instrument for OBD2 and it says "problem P0122 (throttle sensor.....). I do not understand if the problem of the engine was depending of the P0122 error of if it is just a coincidence.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, I apologize for my bad english! I have forgotten that I have used the car from last weekend since today. Now the car won't run: few seconds and dies!!
Thank you. Mario
Are you using a scanner or code reader? Now, I understand. Answer my questions, please, without asking a bunch. I can walk you through this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Code reader
OK. If you disconnect the tps before you start the car, then start it, tell me what happens?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same problem start and dies after few seconds
OK. If you clear the tps code, does it come right back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I clear but the code still remain
OK. Do you have a dvom(multimeter)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. but do you know if the P0122 error stops the engine?
Yes it can. If the sensor is inrternally shorted to power, the PCM will go into clear flood mode, stoping fuel delivery.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is a good new. I think that now I must check if there is a 5 volts and 0.5 volts in the TPS connector at idle throttle??
What is a good new?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the good new is that the TPS may be the cause of he engine stalling
OK with the dvom, check the voltage at the gray wire to ground. (Almost 5volts) Then check the voltage at the blue wire to ground. (less than a volt)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The volts check must be taken with the plug connected to the TPS?
Yes, with the fey in run, and the engine off. Let me know the results. Also, when checking the blue wire, slowly open the throttle. The voltage should increase as the throttle is opened. GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, thank you but I am now at home because it is 10:30 PM. Can I write to you an email tomorrow after the check? My email address isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
All responces must be thru JA. Let me know by posting here. GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, thank you! Before to go to sleep give me your opinion: it is the problem only in the TPS sensor??
One step at a time. That's what my tech's do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK GW. I will post tomorrow. THANK YOU!
OK
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, unfortunately I can't reach my car until Dec. 9th. I will contact you after the TPS voltage check. Thank you. Mario
OK,GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi GW, tomorrow I will reach the car and I will check the TPS. I have 2 questions: 1) how can I identify the wire that go from the TPS to the PCM (the blue one)?. 2) How can I identify the wire that connect the negative (ground) to the PCM allowing the engine start? In my car the park/brake safety switch was removed and I suppose that there is a permanent negative to the PCM that allow the start in any gear condition. Thank you. Mario
It is the only blue wire at the tps. it goes to the computer here.graphic
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It go to the pin 34 of the EBTCM. I do not know where it is located the EBTCM anyway I will look for it in the web.
Don't worry about the EBCM. Look at where it goes to the pCM. GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you GW!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Good morning GW, I am disperate! The TPS is working well because the voltage in the blue wire it is .46 at idle position and increase up to 4.8 at maximum throttle. The code scanner confirm the same error. The problem is that the Corvette engine is installed into a Wrangler TJ and may be that Sunrayengineering that has made the TJ did not connect some wire not useful for offroad. I do not know if the error code was present when the car was running well. This morning I have made sevaral attempts to start and the engine works perfectly for 7 seconds then dies. It is there some burglar in the Corvette engine? I confirm that 10 days ago I have had the same problem one time but after several attempts the engine has work well for one week. Please help me to fix the problem Best regards. Mario</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, have cleared the TPS error code and now the reader does not show any error but the engine has the same problem: start but after 7 seconds dies. When it dies if I insist immediately with the starter motor(I can turn the key also without switching off the injection)it does not start again. To restart the engine I need to switch off the injection by the key and restart. I understand that there is a signal that stalls the engine after approx. 7 seconds and for clear this condition I need to switch off the injection before the next start. I hope that this information will be useful to identify the problem. Thank you again. Mario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, today I have made an additional test: I have checked that the pump's relay close the contact of the fuel pump jest for 2 seconds before the start then when the engine is running immediately close the contact again. The problem looks a burglar. My car has the Jeep original key. Regards. Mario
Hi, Mario. I've been out of town. I'm Back to assist. GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GW, thank you. I have fixed the problem. I was not informed that here was a hide switch that insert the anti-thief in the computer. Now I am running well. THANK YOU. I will contact you for future problem. Best regards. Mario
Well, that's great. Glad to see this was fixed, and who would have thought of a hidden kill switch. Happy Holidays, and let me know if I can help in the future. GW
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Happy Holidays!!