Mr_Wrench
Mr_Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  24yr gm Drivability & Electrical
11979730

how do you replace the hazard switch on an 2001 Monte Carlo

Customer Question

how do you replace the hazard switch on an 2001 Monte Carlo SS
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mr_Wrench replied 6 years ago.

Hello! Here are the instructions.

Hazard Warning Switch Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 601131  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Apply the parking brake.
  2. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1.
  3. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
  4. Using a small, flat-bladed tool, gently remove the bezel from the ignition lock cylinder.
    Object Number: 813479  Size: SH
  5. For the Impala, remove the right and the left access covers from the instrument panel (IP) fuse block.

For the Monte Carlo, remove the left access cover from the IP fuse block.

6. Remove the steering column filler. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
  7. For the Monte Carlo, open the instrument panel compartment door.
  8. Remove the trim plate screws from the IP cluster.
  9. Start at the left side of the IP cluster trim plate. Grasp the trim plate and carefully pull rearward. Disengage the IP cluster trim plate in order to easily access the hazard warning switch.
    Object Number: 519460  Size: SH
  10. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard warning switch.
  11. Remove the hazard warning switch from the IP cluster trim plate.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 519460  Size: SH
  1. Install the hazard warning switch to the IP cluster trim plate.
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the hazard warning switch.
    Object Number: 813479  Size: SH
  3. Press the IP cluster trim plate into the IP trim pad, until all of the retainers are fully seated.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the IP cluster trim plate screws.

Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

5. For the Monte Carlo, install the left access cover to the IP fuse block.

For the Impala, install the right and the left access covers to the IP fuse block.

6. Install the steering column filler. Refer to Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement .
  7. For the Monte Carlo, close the IP compartment door.
    Object Number: 601131  Size: SH
  8. Install the bezel to the ignition lock cylinder.
  9. Reposition the steering wheel to the original position.
  10. If the vehicle is equipped with column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to Park.
  11. Release the parking brake.

Steering Column Opening Filler Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 519517  Size: SH
  1. Remove the access cover from the left instrument panel (IP) fuse block.
  2. Release the left IP insulator tabs from the lower IP trim pad retainers for access.
  3. Remove the bolts from the steering column filler panel.
  4. Release the steering column filler panel retainers from the IP lower trim panel. Carefully lower the panel away from the IP lower trim panel.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear compartment release switch.
  6. Remove the rear compartment release switch.
  7. Remove the steering column filler panel.