GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2004 gmc: gas tank..evap vent solenoid and still have the code

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD it takes 20 minutes to fill the gas tank have code po446a. I have replaced the evap vent solenoid and still have the code. WHAT NEXT??
Welcome Aubie. The Vent valve is only part of it. The filter in the valve was not good enough and it allowed dirt to get into the system and it plugs the canister. The good news is you may not need to replace the canister. We have had great luck cleaning the canister out. What we do is remove the canister and put low pressure compressed air into the small line in bursts while tapping around the entire canister with the handle of a screwdriver. Do this outside as there will be lots of dust and it will be very messy. I keep tapping and blowing until there is not dust. Then you will need to get the code cleared. Did you install the updated valve?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes I installed the updated vavle recommended in the tsb. The canister you are talking about is at the front of the tank right?

The canister is has 3 hoses, all different sizes going into it. That area was the change over so its is either directly in front of the tank or above the drive shaft on the right side of the tank.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Big help thanks a lot not very good with computers or being online. If you do not recieve payment for something it is because of my ignorance, if so please e-mail me and I will try to make it right. I will try cleaning the canister and see if that helps. THANKS AGAIN!!!!
I have received your payment and generous bonus. Thank you!! Please reply with your results. I fully expect cleaning the canister will solve your issues.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for letting me know you got paid I operate a shop so I understand people expecting something for nothing, not all but you know some. Getting tired of check engine light being on. Thanks again and have a good night!!!!