Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

How do you remove the spare tire from the 2003 Chevy Trail

How do you remove the spare tire from the 2003 Chevy TrailBlazer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Here is what you will need to know about removing the spare tire and wheel on this model. Feel free to contact me with any problems or questions! Good luck!

TRAILBLAZER MODEL

Object Number: 806243  Size: B3

EXT MODEL
Object Number: 896871  Size: B3

The jacking equipment you will need is stored under the rear seat in the TrailBlazer or in the left rear quarter panel storage compartment in the TrailBlazer EXT. To release the jack from its holder, turn the knob on the jack counterclockwise to lower the jack head. Object Number: 806115  Size: B2

The tools you'll be using include the wheel wrench (A), tire blocks (B), extension(s) (socket end) (C), handle (jack end) (D), and jack (E). The Trailblazer EXT will include an additional extension

The following instructions explain how to remove the spare tire mounted underneath your vehicle.

Notice: If you remove or restow a tire from/to the storage position under the vehicle while it is supported by a jack, you could damage the tire and/or your vehicle. Always remove or restow a tire when the vehicle is on the ground.

Object Number: 806084  Size: B3

1. To remove the underbody-mounted spare, insert the socket end of the extension on a 45 °angle downward into the hoist drive shaft hole. It is exposed when the rear gate is open and is just above the rear bumper. Be sure the socket end of the extension connects to the hoist shaft.
  2. Turn the wheel wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare tire. Keep turning the wheel wrench until the spare tire can be pulled out from under the vehicle.

If the spare tire does not lower to the ground, the secondary latch is engaged causing the tire not to lower. See "Secondary Latch System" later in this section.

When the tire has been completely lowered, tilt the retainer at the end of the cable and pull it through the wheel opening. Pull the tire out from under the vehicle.

Notice: If you drive away before the spare tire or secondary latch system cable has been reinstalled, you could damage your vehicle. Always reinstall this cable before driving your vehicle.

3. Put the spare tire near the flat tire.
    Object Number: 806016  Size: B3

4. Position the chisel end of the wheel wrench in the notch of the center cap and pry off the center cap.

See "Removing the Flat Tire and Installing the Spare Tire" later in this section to continue changing the flat tire.

Secondary Latch System

Your vehicle has an underbody mounted tire hoist assembly equipped with a secondary latch system. It's designed to stop the spare or flat road tire from suddenly falling off your vehicle if the cable holding the spare tire is damaged. For the secondary latch to work, the tire must be stored with the valve stem pointing up. See "Storing a Flat Tire and Tools" for instructions on storing the spare or flat tire correctly.

Caution: Before beginning this procedure read all the instructions. Failure to read and follow the instructions could damage the hoist assembly and you and others could get hurt. Read and follow the instructions listed next.

Caution: Someone standing too close during the procedure could be injured by the jack. If the spare tire does not slide off the jack completely, make sure no one is behind you or on either side of you as you pull the jack out from under the spare.

Object Number: 806961  Size: A3

To release the spare tire from the secondary latch do the following:

1. Check under the vehicle to see if the cable is visible.
  2. If it is not visible, proceed to Step 6.

If visible, first try to tighten the cable by turning the wheel wrench clockwise until you hear two clicks or feel it skip twice. You cannot overtighten the cable.

3. Loosen the cable by turning the wheel wrench counterclockwise three or four turns.
  4. Repeat this procedure at least two times.

If the spare tire lowers to the ground, continue with Step 2 of "Removing the Spare Tire and Tools" earlier in this section.

5. Turn the wrench counterclockwise until approximately 6 inches (15 cm) of cable is exposed.
    Object Number: 806956  Size: B3

6. Attach the XXXXX XXXXXdle, extension(s) and the wheel wrench to the jack and place it under the vehicle towards the front of the rear bumper. Position the center lift point of the jack under the center of the spare tire.
  7. Turn the wrench clockwise to raise the jack until it lifts the end fitting.
  8. Continue raising the jack until the spare tire stops moving upward and is held firmly in place. The secondary latch has released and the spare tire is balancing on the jack.
  9. Lower the jack by turning the wheel wrench counterclockwise. Keep lowering the jack until the spare tire slides off the jack or is hanging by the cable.
  10. Disconnect the XXXXX XXXXXdle from the jack and carefully remove the jack. Use one hand to push against the spare while firmly pulling the jack out from under the spare tire with the other hand.
    Object Number: 806084  Size: B3

11. If the spare tire is hanging from the cable, insert the socket end of the extension connected to the wheel wrench into the hoist shaft hole in the bumper on an angle. Turn the wheel wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare the rest of the way.
  12. Tilt the retainer at the end of the cable and pull it through the wheel opening. Pull the tire out from under the vehicle.
  13. If the cable is hanging under the vehicle, turn the wheel wrench clockwise to raise the cable back up.

Have the hoist assembly inspected as soon as you can. You will not be able to store a spare or flat tire using the hoist assembly until it has been repaired or replaced.

Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION