Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
13428174

I have a 95 Chevy Caprice 4.3 engine. The heater has stopped

Customer Question

I have a 95 Chevy Caprice 4.3 engine. The heater has stopped working. It only blows cold air and there was a leak on my floor passenger side. I have tried replacing the heater core which fixed the leak and replaced the thermostat. Air is blowing warmer now but not hot at all. What should I check now?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 6 years ago.
I'm GW. There is a electric air door motor. It's behind the glove box, on the blower case. Remove it and turn the key on and turn the temperature control from hot to cold and watch the motor. If the motor moves, the door inside will have to be replaced.graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would this be the same if I can hear the door open and close when I change from cold to heat? If I don't hear the door open and close what part is this that I would have to replace??
It's best to check the door operation by hand. There is no water valve for these, so it has to be a coolant flow issue, or a air door issue.Feel BOTH hoses going into the firewall for the same temp as the upper radiator hose.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After researching a little another thing mentioned I should check was the heater valve. Does it sound like my issue would have anything to do with this?

OK. So, as I stated in the last post, this car DOES NOT have a heater valve, or water valve, or coolant valve. OK Any other questions?
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I apologize. I am not an expert. I do not understand the difference between water and heater valves. Other locations online states that my car has a heater control valve. Although you mentioned above that this car DOES NOT have a water valve. On your previous posts. I did not get one of my questions answered. If I turn the key on an off then switch it from HOT to COLD and the motor moves then I would need to replace that door. Correct? What is this door/part called for my car?
Correct. If the motor moves, the air door is broken, which is not common. If the motor does not move, the motor is bad, or the control head is bad. Let me know if the motor does not work, and i'll give you some tests. when you removed the heater core, did you check for debris in the case? Debris in the case can cause the air not to flow over the core.