John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

1998 Chevy Tahoe: cranking..fires right..first thing int..sitting

1998 Chevy Tahoe "sometimes" will not start. Plenty of juice and cranking power. Always fires right up first thing int he morning, and if it has been sitting for a while. However, if you start and stop it several times over a period of a couple of hours (stop at store, bank, post office, etc) and the last such stop is for a short period (a few minutes, up to about 30 or so) then more often than not on about the 4th or 5th such stop it will NOT restart. It sounds like it just is getting no fuel at all when that happens. If you then literally let it sit for 5 full minutes, it will usually start BUT it (A) has a strong, distinct sort of odor (somewhat like you would have experienced in the old days ater restarted a flooded engine), and (B) will not smoothly idle (you have to keep the throttle down a bit to keep it from dying out). However, if it last for a minute or so, then it runs fine until the problem happens again. Any idea what the heck this could be caused by???

What you have described I find most of the time is a leaking fuel pressure regulator at the engine.What happens is the diaphragm starts to leak (after heated up) & when the engine is turned off the fuel pressure passes fuel through the pressure regulator into the vacuum line running to the intake manifold. & (if leaking bad enough) floods the engine while sitting.On this particular the pressure regulator is inside the upper intake manifold.Duplicate the situation with a fuel pressure gage attached to the engine.If the pressure leaks down most likely the regulator is faulty.I have found the best way to locate the leak(it can be an injector or connecting line-plastic) is to remove the upper intake & the leak will be easy to see.Pressurize the system & check for leaks before reinstalling manifold.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
While i appreciate the answer and have paid for it, I now remember that one of the things my mechanic had already checked previously was the pressure...and there was no leakage. Is it possible that the leakage would only be present at the time of the problem, but otherwise not show up? If that is no possible, then knowing that pressure is not the problem, can you think of anything else it could be??
It is most likely that the leakage is only present at the time of the problem.