ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

1998 chevy: the heater core, blower motor..blend..doors

Customer Question

i have a 1998 chevy pickup c 1500 5.7 350 i have replaced the heater core, blower motor, thermostat, and check all blend doors they are working great, still have no heat the truck doesnt lose water at all, the heat kinda works sitting still but not goin down road?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer!

Do the heater hoses get hot when you are running the heater?

Here is a picture of them, if youre not sure... Component #4 in the picture:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yea i acually change both of those to thinking maybe they where sucking shut going down the road but the do both get hot the water circulates great
I see...
Do you have the manual or e;ectronic climate control panel in your dash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK, here is a picture of them...
When you move the lever from hot to cold, do you hear it moving the door?

In this type, the cable likes to bind and eventually the plastic parts like on the control panel and down on the box.. they eventually break. Especially at the control panel.

If I have been helpful, click the Accept button. If you still need help, just click the Reply button. The information is not free for me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that is one of the three blend doors it is working fine
OK, all doors are working, abd the heater core is definately getting hot.. So water is circulating through it.

When you said it only blows hot while sitting, makes me think, the vent might be stuck open?

If not, then this thing is low on coolant. So while its cool.. top it off.. then crank it again, and run it till the thermostat opens up,, rev the engine up to about 2,000 RPM, while you are filling it. This will put a vacuum on the system, ald eliminate the possibility of any air entering the system. Also fill the reservoir about 1/3 full.