Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks.

Where is the reset button on the fuel pump for a 2002 Chevy Malibu

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 7 years ago.
I'm GW. Could you explain the cars problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Drove the car. Two hours later the car would not start. Tries to start but won't kick over. The battery is new and has been checked cables, too. The relay/fuse was replaced. My brother who is a heavy equipment mechanic, checked it. He says it is in the fuel system and to take it to a Chevy mechanic. He says some GM vehicles have automatic shut off switches to the fuel pump, usually in the trunk. The car is in a busy parking area and may have been bumped. I've had this car for 6 weeks, driven it every day with no problem. It has new tires, brakes, battery, belts, hoses. It sat for a while before I bought it.

OK. Tell me more about the fuse/relay replacement. There is not an inertia switch on GM cars and trucks. Ford uses these.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He replaced the relay in the little black box with the lightning bolt,under the hood by the firewall on the drivers side. First, he tested with ones known to work. Then he just replaced the ones the diagram said were fuel related. Is there another fuse box somewhere? this is the only one we saw in the owners manual.
OK. When you turn the ignition key to run, can you hear the fuel pump running in the tank?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Does this take two people or can I turn the ignition key to on and then go back and listen at the gas tank?

The car is not here, I can't go out and test it.

The fuel pump will run for two seconds. Yes, it
takes two people.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes Virginia, there is a reset. Turn the ignition key to on but don't crank it over. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes. Turn it off and turn it on and it cranks over - magic! No big expense.