Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.

How to replace a fuel filter on a chevy s10 zr2

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
- - -What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Forgive me if you have answered this in additional info, sometimes that does not come through to us right away.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Its the v6 with the zr2 package

Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

This is the filter replacement proceedure. If it hasn't been replaced in a while it is a good idea to do just for maintenance.If that doesn't get it started repost in this thread, there is no need to start a new one. If it still doesn't start can you pay close attention to the check engine lamp and the security indicators. We want to see the check engine light come on for a 3 second bulb check then go out. The security indicator should do the same let me know if either is different and also if you have a test lamp and fuel pressure gauge to further diagnose. Please ask if you have more questions.

Fuel Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

.

Object Number: 255018  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Clean all the fuel filter connections and the surrounding areas before disconnecting the fuel pipes in order to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system.
  4. Disconnect the quick connect fitting (3) from the fuel filter outlet.
  5. Disconnect the threaded fitting from the fuel filter inlet.
    Object Number: 331867  Size: SH
  6. Remove the fuel filter bracket bolt.
  7. Disconnect the fuel pipes from the fuel filter bracket.
    Object Number: 331868  Size: SH

8. Remove the fuel filter from the bracket.
  9. Inspect the fuel pipe O-ring for cuts, nicks, swelling, or distortion. Replace the O-ring if necessary.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 331868  Size: SH

1. Install the fuel filter to the bracket.
    Object Number: 331867  Size: SH

2. Connect the fuel pipes to the fuel filter bracket.
  3. Install the fuel filter bracket bolt.
    Object Number: 255018  Size: SH

4. Connect the threaded fitting to the fuel filter inlet.
  5. Connect the quick connect fitting (3) to the fuel filter outlet.
  6. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  7. Inspect for leaks.
    7.1. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.
    7.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
    7.3. Turn ON the ignition.
    7.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

If you need info on how to disconnect the quick connects here it is. Plese do wear eye protection. No matter what you do there will still likely be some pressure at the filter.

Plastic Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 155410  Size: SH

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing any fuel system connection.

Caution: Wear safety glasses when using compressed air in order to prevent eye injury.

2. Using compressed air, blow any dirt out of the quick-connect fitting.
    Object Number: 12777  Size: SH

3. Squeeze the plastic retainer release tabs.
    Object Number: 12778  Size: SH

4. Pull the connection apart.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 155425  Size: SH

Caution: Always apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male pipe ends before connecting the fuel pipe fittings in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. This will ensure proper reconnection and prevent a possible fuel leak. During normal operation, the O-rings located in the female connector will swell and may prevent proper reconnection if not lubricated.

1. Apply a few drops of clean engine oil to the male fuel pipe end.
    Object Number: 21855  Size: SH

2. Push both sides of the quick-connect fitting together in order to cause the retaining tabs to snap into place.
    Object Number: 155399  Size: SH
  3. Once installed, pull on both sides of the quick-connect fitting in order to make sure the connection is secure.