Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
13303789

Hi. My 97 blazers transmission is acting like it is slipping.

Customer Question

Hi. My 97 blazer's transmission is acting like it is slipping. My check engine light comes on, it won't take off normally in drive, but it will in 1st and 2nd. When you stop, the ignition won't turn off. Then if you wait, it will turn off, and eventually the engine light will go off. This is sporadic. It may happen twice, then not happen for a few weeks, or a couple of days. Any ideas? Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

The most common cause for this is the ignition switch. The switch supplies power for all of the different electrical functions that happen when the key is on. There are several circuits in the switch so when they start to go bad only a few things will be noticed. The most common of these things to happen first is trans slippage and a check engine light. If you had the codes checked I would bet that you see quite a few codes. That also explains the ignition not shutting off. I will include replacement instructions for the switch. If you have more questions please ask.

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the SIR system.
  3. Remove the hush and knee bolster.
  4. Remove the steering column trim covers.
  5. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing.

Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.
  8. Disconnect the passlock and key buzzer from the lock cylinder housing.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

9. Insert J-42759 into the lock cylinder housing to release the tabs on the ignition switch.
  10. Pull the ignition switch out of the lock cylinder housing.
  11. Disconnect the connector from the ignition switch.

Installation Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

1. Verify the alignment of the gear (1) in the ignition switch (2). If gear (1) is not in position shown, turn gear in ignition switch (2) until you reach the correct position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: In order to reach a stop while rotating the lock cylinder housing gear you MUST push and hold in the solenoid on the electric park lock.

2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear counterclockwise until it hits a stop.
  3. Connect the connector to the ignition switch.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Insert the ignition switch into the lock cylinder housing. The tabs (2) on the ignition switch MUST be seated inside the lock cylinder housing (1) for proper installation.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

5. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the START position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

6. Align the lock cylinder and install the lock cylinder into the lock cylinder housing.
  7. Connect the passlock and key buzzer into the lock housing.
  8. Install the steering column trim covers.
  9. Install the hush and knee bolster.
  10. Enable the SIR system.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.