GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1998 CHEVY: Z71..5.7 liter..NOISE COMING..CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON

I HAVE A 1998 CHEVY Z71 PICKUP WITH 5.7 LITER ENGINE. THIS IS THE PROBLEM I HAVE, I STARTED THE TRUCK AND HAD A TAPPING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON AND THE ENGINE HAD A SLIGHT MISS. I KILLED THE TRUCK CHECKED UNDER THE HOOD FOR SOMETHING LOOSE. I RESTARTED THE TRUCK AND THE TAPPING NOISE WAS GONE. CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS OFF. RUNNING FINE. AFTER LETTING THE TRUCK RUN AT IDLE I KILLED THE TRUCK AND RESTARTED THE TAPPING NOISE WAS BACK AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. I THINK ITS SOMETHING IN THE EMISSION. COULD YOU PIN POINT THIS PROBLEM.
WelcomeCustomer To accuratly find the source, you will need to get the codes the truck set when the light came on. I suspect an ignition problem, but need to code to be sure.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so it is not an emission problem but an ignition problem. i have no way to get the codes

I'm thinking spark plugs or something like that. Go visit an auto-zone or part store like that. They usually scan for free, and if you want to buy a code reader, they are not expensive, $50 or so.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will spark plugs or something like that cause the check engine light to come on and cause a tapping noise in the engine.
If there is a misfire, then the tapping noise could result and the engine light would come on.