michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM

2002 monte carlo: that wont start..starter

I have a 2002 monte carlo that won't start. The battery is fully charged and there has not been anything to indicate a starter failure. It's acting like i'm trying to start it while it is in gear. There is not a click or a free spinning noise indicating an attempt by the starter. The security light had come on a couple of days ago but went away when the car was shut off and restarted. Is this a security problem or ingnition swicth issue?

hello... there is a check you can do to see if it is the security system causing your issue...

to do the check... make sure the key has been off for at least 30 seconds... turn the key to the on/run position, wait for at least 5-7 seconds, attempt to start the car and release the key, (leaving it in the on/run position) see if the security light flashes in the drivers info center or I/P.

IF it does flash... the issue is most likely a faulty passlock sensor and the ignition lock cylinder and sensor will need to be changed.