Bob
Bob, Auto Tech
Experience:  Plus 40 years GM, over 30 certified with Chevrolet, ASE certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

92 chevy lumina z34: 3.4 v6 x engine i am looking..crankshaft sensor

Customer Question

i have a 92 chevy lumina z34 3.4 v6 x engine i am looking for the location of the crankshaft sensor cant see it anywhere
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Under hood, passenger side, lower engine area, passenger side of engine block, mounted front of crankshaft pulley
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am looking in by the wheel well and can not see it does the pulley have to come off i dont see any wires around that area
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Been so long since I have done one, I can't remember, Give me a few and I will see if I can come up with any pictures of its location. Be back in 10 or so. Thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Could either be behind the crankshaft balancer, or above the starter, I can't remember which one is which. Sorry, here is a picture of one of them. They show 2 different locations depending on year model and then don't bother telling you which one is what year model. But if it is not the one in the photo, it may be that the lower pulley needs to come off. If you can;t find it with these, let me know and I will opt out of the question for you so anyone who has a better picture can maybe post it for you. Let me know, thanks

Engine Oil Pressure Switch, Knock Sensor, 24X CKP Sensor Connector
Object Number: 181109  Size: MF

(1)Engine Oil Pressure Switch
(2)24X Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Connector
(3)Knock Sensor (KS)

Object Number: 15969  Size: SH

Object Number: 14714  Size: SH

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the pictures dont match what i have some other help would be really be appreciated i will take the pulley off if someone says that is where it is thanks anyway
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
No problem, sorry I was not much help. I will opt out and that will open the question up for someone else to jump in. Good luck with it and thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do i just log back in to get an answer because i need to log off now
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
You do not need to stay logged on. You can just come back to the question anytime and look to see if someone has responded. Thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Last word I got was he would try to look it up when he gets to work tomorrow, since the shop is closed he has no access to parts books until after the holiday. Thanks
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

Here is the latest info we got from another tech. Thanks engineboy

Although there is a lot of conflicting info I think that sensor goes in the side of the block by the oil filter here is a sketch

View Full Image

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i found that sensor but it does not match the sensor i got from carquest they swear its the right one how do i know
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
First of, be sure they are looking up one for a 3.4L motor and not the 3.1L. That could be the difference. If that doesn't help, I think I would write down the VIN number of the car and then go to a Chevy dealer with it and have them look one up and compare them. I can only guess that maybe because of the difference in manufactures, that maybe they look different but still do the same job. If it looks like it would fit the motor, you can check it for specs. A good one should ohm out at between 800 and 1200 ohms. One for the other motor would want to be between 800 & 900 ohms. But, if Chevy shows one that is different, I would go with that one rather than take the chance. But I suppose different companies could make them and have them look different. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will check with the chevy dealer on monday i did check the vin and it is an x engine
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Good deal. Please drop us a note and let us know how it works out. Many times on stuff like this, because they have made so many different ones, changed designs so often, etc. A dealer may be the only place to get the correct part. I don't know how the after market does as good a job as they do when I think about how many times they will change a part on a car sometimes. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1 am sorry to say i wasted my money on this i had to go to a chevy garage
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Hello alfie1233321,First off I want to thank you for you patience and let you know that we are not a bunch of rip off artists here. It really is our desire to help folks like you who have legitament questions and need help with them. I really am sorry that we were not able to fill your need, but that was a part of the reason for the opt out, so everyone on the site would have a chance to look at the problem in hopes that someone might have a new idea. It is our desire that everyone who uses out service leaves happy, but sometimes it is not possible to please everyone, but believe me we really do try and it really is a team effort. I am going to apply a for a refund for you, in hopes that JA will grant it. We don't even wan't customers to click the accept button unless they are satisfied. You should hear from some one in a day or so, Thanks