Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
3077897

how to replace water pump on a 1998 z24 cavalier an get the

Customer Question

how to replace water pump on a 1998 z24 cavalier ,timing change removal,replacement. thank your time
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

First you will have to remove the engine front cover. Here is the procedure for that.

Engine Front Cover Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 28467-360 Engine Support Fixture Adapter
J 28467-400 Engine Lift Hook

Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain and recover the coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
  3. Remove the coolant surge tank. Refer to Radiator Surge Tank Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  4. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement .
    Object Number: 60047  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  5. Install the J 28467-360
  6. Remove the upper fasteners from the front cover.
  7. Remove the engine mount assembly. Refer to Engine Mount Replacement .
    Object Number: 33589  Size: SH
  8. Remove the engine mounting bracket adapter.
  9. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  10. Remove the right front wheel and the tire assembly. Refer to Wheel Removal in Tires and Wheels.
  11. Remove the right splash shield.
  12. Remove the crankshaft balancer. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement .
    Object Number: 60369  Size: SH
  13. Remove the lower front cover fasteners.
  14. Lower the vehicle.
  15. Remove the front cover and the gasket.
  16. Inspect the front cover gasket. Replace the gasket if it is damaged.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required

J 36660-A

Object Number: 60369  Size: SH
  1. Install the front cover gasket. The gasket is reusable and does not require sealer.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the upper front cover fasteners.

Tighten
    Tighten the fasteners to 13 N·m (115 lb in).

3. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  4. Install the remaining front cover fasteners.

Tighten

Object Number: 60369  Size: SH
  5. Lubricate the front oil seal and the sealing surface of the crankshaft balancer with Chassis Grease GM P/N(NNN) NNN-NNNNor equivalent.
  6. Install the crankshaft balancer. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement
  7. Install the right splash shield.
  8. Install the right front wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Wheel Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
    Object Number: 33589  Size: SH
  10. Install the engine mounting bracket adapter.

Notice: This bolt is designed to permanently stretch when tightened, and therefore MUST be replaced anytime it is removed. The correct part number fastener must be used to replace this type of fastener. Do not use a bolt that is stronger in this application. If the correct bolt is not used, the parts will not be tightened correctly. The system or the components may be damaged.

Important: These bolts must be replaced with new bolts anytime they are removed.

11. Install the engine mounting bracket adapter bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 60 N·m (44 lb ft) + 60 degrees. Use the J 36660-A

12. Install the engine mount assembly. Refer to Crankshaft Balancer Replacement .
  13. Remove the J 28467-400 and the J 28467-360
  14. Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement .
  15. Install the coolant surge tank. Refer to Radiator Surge Tank Replacement in Engine Cooling.
  16. Add coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
  17. Connect the negative battery cable.

Next the chain and guides.

Camshaft Timing Chain, Sprocket, and Tensioner Removal

Object Number: 60370  Size: SH

Notice: The timing chain on the LD9 (VIN T) Twin Cam Engine is not to be replaced with the timing chain from any other model year. The timing sprockets are different on the Twin Cam engine and the shape of the links matches the sprockets. Engine damage may result if the wrong timing chain is used. The timing chain and the crankshaft sprocket must be marked so that they are reinstalled in the same side facing out at the time of reassembly.

Important: Read the entire procedure before removing the timing chain.

1. Mark the timing chain and the crankshaft sprocket outer surfaces for reassembly. Ensure that this is done in order to prevent noise and increased wear on the chain.
  2. Remove the timing chain guides.
    Object Number: 62881  Size: SH
  3. Remove the tensioner assembly retaining bolts.
  4. Remove the tensioner shoe. Use a small locking ring plier to engage the hole in the locking tab to remove the shoe from the stud.
    Object Number: 33625  Size: SH
  5. Remove the timing chain.
  6. Inspect the parts for wear. Replace the parts as required.
  7. Replace the timing chain shoe or guides if the scoring exceeds 1.12 mm (0.045 in).

You also have to remove the exhaust manifold.

Exhaust Manifold Removal

Object Number: 33609  Size: SH
  1. Remove the exhaust manifold brace to the manifold bolt.
    Object Number: 33611  Size: SH
  2. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shield, if the exhaust manifold is being replaced.
    Object Number: 33612  Size: SH
  3. Remove the exhaust manifold to the cylinder head retaining nuts.
  4. Remove the exhaust manifold.
  5. Clean all of the sealing surfaces.
  6. If the exhaust manifold is being replaced, transfer the following parts:
    The exhaust manifold nuts
    The exhaust manifold heat shield

Here is the waterpump removal

Water Pump Removal

Tools Required

J 36008-A Camshaft Timing Pins

Object Number: 62885  Size: SH

Important: The timing chain tensioner must be removed to unload chain tension before the water pump is removed. If the tension is not unloaded, the water pump will become cocked in the timing chain housing and the water pump will be difficult to remove.

1. Rotate the timing chain sprockets to line up the holes. Install the J 36008-A .
  2. Remove the bolts holding the tensioner in place.
    Object Number: 62307  Size: SH
  3. Remove the water pump cover to the cylinder block bolts.
  4. Remove the water pump assembly to the timing chain housing nuts.
  5. Remove the water pump cover assembly.
  6. Remove the water pump.
  7. Remove the water pump cover to the water pump assembly bolts.
  8. Clean and inspect all sealing surfaces.
  9. Inspect the water pump for cracking.

Let me know if i can help you further. Please click on accept. Thanks Eric

Eric, Master Technician/shop foreman
Experience: ASE Master Technician, 25 years experience, Over400 General Motors certifications
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

first time useing. The expert did a very good job with everything thanks will use again i will give tip when get more money