Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

how to replace 2001 suburban oil filter

how to replace 2001 suburban oil filter
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

What engine is in it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just re-read my question - crap - i meant to say FUEL FILTER!! (not oil filter) it has a 5.3 liter V8
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i'm just gonna smack the livin' snot outta it...see if that works.....thanks, bonnie

That happens to us all. You might want to try holding the filter with a 21mm wrench and then use a line wrench on the line, (5/8" or a 16mm) and wack it in a counter clockwise motion, (when looking at it) both inlet and outlet. Here is what the data base has on it.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

IMPORTANT: Inspect the fuel tank internally and clean the fuel tank if you find a restricted fuel filter.

graphic

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure.
  2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  3. Clean all the fuel filter connections and the surrounding areas before disconnecting the fuel pipes in order to avoid possible contamination of the fuel system.
  4. Disconnect the threaded fittings (1, 2) from the fuel filter.
  5. Remove the fuel filter bracket bolt (4).
  6. Cap the fuel pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.
  7. Slide the fuel filter from the bracket.
  8. Inspect the fuel pipe O-rings for cuts, nicks, swelling, or distortion. Replace the O-rings if necessary.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Slide the fuel filter into the bracket.
  2. Remove the caps from the fuel pipes. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  3. Connect the threaded fittings (1, 2) to the fuel filter.

Tighten

• Tighten the fittings to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .
  • Tighten the fuel filter bracket bolt (4), to 12 N.m (106 lb in) .
  1. Lower the vehicle.
  2. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.
  4. Use the following procedure in order to Inspect for leaks.

7.1.Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF, for 2 seconds .
7.2.Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds .
7.3.Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
7.4.Inspect for fuel leaks.
7.5.Install the engine sight shield.

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering