ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

Chevy malibu: the spark plugs and inition wires one..test drive

I have a chevy malibu 2002. I just changed the spark plugs and inition wires one at the time. I test drive my car and there's no power. No pickup. What did I do wrong? The engine sounds smooth the only problem is theres no power.
Did you have any problem like this before the plug and wire change? Did you do anything else?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is the first time I changed the plugs and wires. never had a problem before except there was a rattle sound underneath the car when the engine is cold.
Did you do any other work besides the plugs and wires?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you sure you have the wires on correctly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i'm positive. When I changed the plugs and the wire I did it one at the time. I first removed the old plug then replaced a new one then change the wire. then I proceed to the next plug ..and so on.

Did you compare the new plugs with the old plugs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes. I even put the old ones back and was doing the same thing. no power. But before that when I have not changed the old plugs the only thing I noticed is miss fire. I found out that my ignition wire wire has a crack so I decided to buy a new ignition wires and plugs. Another thing in the morning when I start the engine I hear a rattling sound sound underneath the car by the exhaust pipe but it would only last about 30 sec then it will disappear.

These vehicles have a problem with the catalitic converters going bad and it is likely the problem. You can test this by removing the exhaust and taking it for a little drive. Pic below,