Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
4976144

how do you change the headlight on a 2006 Chevy trailblaze

how do you change the headlight on a 2006 Chevy trailblazer?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean the whole assembly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no just the bulb I need to change
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

If the first procedure doesn't allow room then follow the second one and remove the headlamp itself ok.

Headlamp Bulb Replacement (TrailBlazer)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Halogen bulbs contain gas under pressure. Handling a bulb improperly could cause it to shatter into flying glass fragments. To help avoid personal injury:

Turn off the lamp switch and allow the bulb to cool before changing the bulb.
Leave the lamp switch OFF until the bulb change is complete.
Always wear eye protection when changing a halogen bulb.
Handle the bulb only by its base. Avoid touching the glass.
Keep dirt and moisture off the bulb.
Properly dispose of the used bulb.
Keep halogen bulbs out of the reach of children.

Notice: Avoid touching the bulb or letting the bulb come in contact with anything damp. Oil from your skin or moisture on the bulb can cause the bulb to explode when the bulb is turned on. If either comes in contact with the bulb, clean the bulb with alcohol or a suitable degreaser and wipe the bulb dry.

1. Open the hood.
    Object Number: 729431  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  2. Remove the access cover from the rear of the headlamp.
  3. Rotate the bulb and socket counterclockwise in order to remove the bulb and socket from the housing.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the socket.

Installation Procedure

Important:

Replace a high beam bulb with another high beam bulb. The high beam bulb has a black socket.
Replace a low beam bulb with another low beam bulb. The low beam bulb has a gray tip and a grey socket.

Object Number: 729431  Size: SH
  1. Connect the electrical connector to the socket.
  2. Position the bulb and socket to the headlamp.
  3. Install the bulb and socket to the housing by rotating the bulb and socket clockwise, locking the retaining tabs to the housing.
  4. Install the access cover to the rear of the headlamp assembly
  5. Grille Replacement (TrailBlazer)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 740917  Size: SH
    1. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clips that retain the grille to the headlamp housing panel.
    2. Remove the grille from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 740917  Size: SH
    1. Install the grille to the vehicle.
    2. Align the retaining clips on the grille with the slots in the headlamp housing panel.
    3. Fully install the retaining clips into the headlamp housing panel.
    4. Headlamp Replacement (TrailBlazer)

Removal Procedure

1. Open and support the hood.
      2. Remove the grille. Refer to Grille Replacement .
        Object Number: 742007  Size: SH
      3. Pull up on the retaining tabs (1) in order to remove the headlamp assembly from the headlamp panel.
      4. Disconnect the headlamp leveling electrical connector from the motor/actuator if equipped.
      5. Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector (2) from the headlamp assembly.
      6. Remove the side marker socket (4) from the headlamp assembly.
      7. Remove the park/turn socket (3) from the headlamp assembly.
      8. Remove the headlamp assembly from the headlamp panel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 742007  Size: SH
      1. Position the headlamp assembly to the headlamp panel.
      2. Index and seat the tabs on the park/turn socket (3) to the headlamp assembly.
      3. Index and seat the tabs on the side marker socket (4) to the headlamp assembly.
      4. Connect the headlamp electrical connector (2).
      5. Connect the headlamp leveling electrical connector to the motor/actuator if equipped.
      6. Align and install the 4 locator pins on the back of the headlamp assembly into the retaining tab holes.
      7. Push down on the retaining tabs (1) in order to lock the headlamp assembly into the headlamp panel.
      8. Install the grille. Refer to Grille Replacement .
      9. Close the hood.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It won't let me access the links you sent me to view because I am not authorized any way you can just give it to me in writing more details especially on how to remove the housing and replacing it?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Can you gain access to the rear of the headlamps to remove the round covers?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I can gain acces but is it the two round covers on the back of the housing, behind the bulbs? do they just pop off, I won't break anything by prying them off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

after reading your instructions do I have to remove the grille or can I just pop the two round access covers off, if I have to remove the whole grille I will bring it in.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes it's the two round covers...I believe they are rubber and just pop off. Then twist the headlamp bulb counterclockwise to remove from the headlamp. Be sure not to touch the new bulb glass with your fingers as it may cause the bulb to burn out prematurely.