Billy, Chevrolet tecnician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience,GM grand master for 8 years,certified smog and government safety inspector

Any way to fix broken block at starter mounting holes 350

Customer Question

any way to fix broken block at starter mounting holes 350
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerand welcome to just answer.

If the threads are pulled/stripped out from the block then you can drill the block and use some "Timeserts" or "Helicoil" for the repair.
Unfortunately if the block is actually broken/cracked the only way to fix it is with a replacement block. It is cas iron and can't be welded.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we r in cleveland ohio cleveland certifed auto weld can weld cast block with 100% gurantee but engine has to be removed from vehicle (block corner broken off) looking for simpler answer maybee some kind of repair kit being a common problem
Expert:  Billy replied 7 years ago.
Braking the corner off is the simple stuff, repairing it is not, I think you will have to pull the motor.
never heard of anybody fixing this with any repair kit. you will have to improvise.

I have fixed some of these by drilling and tapping further up in the block, then cutting/grinding out the block around the broken corner so that it is flush/square and installing a longer bolt with a spacer block.

Best regards