Rog
Rog, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master tech 35 yrs.exp.15yrs GM shop

When I turn key, lights go dim...I replaced the starter, same result.

Customer Question

When I turn key, lights go dim. Truck will not turn over. I replaced the starter, same result. Could the torque converter be locked and or what is your opinion?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Rog replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer I will give you some things to check. What is the battery voltage?The battery voltoge should be 12.0 to 12.5 volts at the battery. Did the truck die while driving? If it did try turning the engine over by hand. This is done by using a socket on the end of the crankshaft. If it turns over ok then check the battery cables. Make sure they are cleean. Also check the ground wires for being tight.If this helps please press accepts. If you need further help please just ask. Thank you for using Ask A Question. Roger
Rog, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Master tech 35 yrs.exp.15yrs GM shop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the cable connections and also cleaned cables. The battery has 12 volts and the crankshaft will not turn. I put the truck in neutral, it rolled. Trying to see of the engine was locked. or maybe disengage catalytic converter. It didn't work. Tried turning crankshaft. Would not move. What is my next option?

Expert:  Rog replied 5 years ago.
If the engine will not crank and all that it does when key moved to the crank position is click. I would try to move the engine by hand. Either forward or backwards. If the engine does not or will not move then it is locked up. I would remove the flywheel cover to gain access to the flywheel bolts. There should be three bolts. Some how you need to remove the three bolts. They should be 15 mm headed bolts. This gives you acess to the flywheel teeth.Try to roll the engine with a screw driver or bar. After you remove the bolts try to turn the flywheel. If you can now tupn the engine over it should start.Also before you try to start the engine see if the torque convertor will spin. If it does not spin then the front pump in the transmission is locked up. If the enginestill does not turn over you most likely have a locked up engine. Roger