John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

My door chime stays on (non stop)..BCM..replacing

My door chime stays on (non stop). I believe the BCM is the problem but I don't want to replace it for something so minor. Can the chime be disabled or turned down instead of replacing the BCM? Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

The audible warnings alert the driver of a system concern or a critical vehicle condition. The instrument panel cluster (IPC) generates audible warnings through an internal acoustic speaker. The IPC receives audible warning requests via the serial data circuit. If the IPC receives multiple audible warning requests, the warning with the highest priority sounds first. The following lists the audible warning priority and the pulse rate:

1. Fast rate chime (200 pulses per minute)
  2. Medium rate chime (150 pulses per minute)
  3. Slow rate chime (50 pulses per minute)
  4. Single chime

A scan of the vehicle computer systems could possibly show an incorrect input that is causing your chime to stay on.Since the chime is incorporated into the instrument cluster & generates the sound through an internal speaker you cannot disable it without turning off several other circuits.