GM Expert
GM Expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified and over 25 years Experience in the Automotive Field

Chevy venture: you start it up it runs for a few then shuts off

Customer Question

Chevy venture run then shut off when driving then when you start it up it runs for a few then shuts off
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using JA,

When the vehicle shuts off does the security light flash at all. Do you have a way to test the fuel pressure on this vehicle and let me know and I can help you.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i dont know if it has a security system on the car but,when i start the car it will run then shut off. Also im thinking maybe the fuel pump went bad.
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the response and you are on the right track. I would check fuel pressure and see what it is reading when you turn the key on and engine off. It should be above 50 psi and it might prime to that and then drop suddenly. See what your pressure it and then let me know and we can go from there.

Thanks msgperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i tried to check the pressure and i put the pressure testr on it and the needle didnt even move.Im thinking that the fuel pump or the filter is clogged
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the response.

I would look into the fuel filter first and remove it and then as the direction of the arrow I would try and blow through it. If it is clear then you are right on the money and I would replace the fuel pump.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi i took off the fuel filter and blowed in it it had some brown fuel in it so i replaced the fuel filter and the car ran but i had some codes that pop-up and they are :po300,and po171. the car runs very rough and when you drive it it moves until you open the throttle move and it acts like its missing.but if i press the petal lightly then it will move with less missing. Im thinking it could be the tps acting up but not sure,and for the other code of running lean i dont know whats doing that. Help!!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im also thinking that it also cuold be the fuel pressure regulator. What do you think is going on right now
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the response.

When you look at the fuel pressure regulator does it look wet. If you remove the vaccum line off the top of it look inside of the line and is there fuel there. Let me know and we can go from there.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i took of the line tyo see if there any fuel in there i couldnt see any in there.It was dry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I aslo heard a hissing sound coming from the injector.That sound was there before but the car didnt act like this.Im also thinking of changing the coils also.
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the response.

If you have a hissing sound around the injector then the injector o-ring might be leaking.

I would spray some carb cleaner around that area and see if your rpms change. If they do then you have a lak. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi the van starts now and runs but runs rough and its like i told you im thinking for changing the the coil.I might be wrong on this but im trying to figure out if it is the coil or the fuel.
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for the response,

Yes I would put a fuel gauge on it and watch the pressure. I would lean toward the coil and let me know what you find.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again the van runs but it its hard to start.I would have to crank the engine and also pump the gas pedaL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE TO GET IT STARTED. Now i put the scan tool on it and it tells me the the feul system 1 has and closed loop then when i accelrate it tellls me its and open loop (dri) what that mean, could it mean that the fuel pump is gone or the feul pressure regultator is gone. Also the fuel pressure in the tank says 655.37 and when it hits a bump it goes to zero.I checked this when the car is running and when i was driving it. Could it be that the plug that plugs into the fuel pump be bad? Please help me on this,Thanks.
Expert:  GM Expert replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

thanks for the response,

I would check your o-2 sensors and and see what they are reading. They would send your vehicle into open or closed loop. if you have to pump the gas then i would hook up a fuell gauge and try and start the vehicle and see what it reads and let me know what it reads. It should be staedy and hold pressure. Let me know.

Thanks msgtperrin

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi again, i found out that im not the only one having problem with this van. The van still starts but the battery is holding a small charge.Could the battery be the problem on this van? When its running it surges up and down.And when you hold the accelerator pedal down half way it runs up to at lest 3500 rpms the sputters then goes back up to the rpms again. Its like the car is trying to bring the rpms up to the right rpm then the rpms go way down and back up again.Also i cant fit the fuel pressure gauage in there without moving the bracket.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
dont worry ill pay you today