ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Chevrolet. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

I have a 1989 chevy 3500 4x4 w/ a 454,it has a 400 3 speed tranny.

Customer Question

I have a 1989 chevy 3500 4x4 w/ a 454,it has a 400 3 speed tranny. Will a 400 tranny out of a 2500 suburban 2wd w/ a 350 motor bolt up to the big block and also to the transfer case once I pull the tail piece
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 7 years ago.

Yes it will bolt up and work... they are the same transmission... just take off the tail shaft housing, and put your transfer case right to it.

Need some instructions? It is fairly straightforward, though.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was also told the output shaft would need modifing as when you swap a 350 turbo for a 700r. the shaft had to be cut 1 1/2 inches. someone else said it won`t bolt up to a big block. and someone just e-mail the output shaft had to be changed. I`m at a loss
From what you said in your original question... It really sounds like both transmissions are 400's, and the onbly differnece is that one is bolted to a 350 engine, while the other is bolted to a 454.

Whoever told you that it won't bolt to the big block... doesn't have a clue what they talking abuut either... Chevrolet V block transmissions ALL use the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

Now, you change the story.

OK.. to clear things up on that, though... the 350 long shaft and the 700 are interchangeable... But putting ta transfer case to it, you would want to use the short shaft 350 transmission... as far as bolting a transfer case to it.. but a 400 is a 400, and nothing else is compatible with it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

to clearify the question

will a 1990 2wd 400 trany bolted to a 350 sbc replace a 1989 4x4 400 tranny bolted to a 454. and is there any modifications required to the tail shaft inorder for it to fit the transfer case. I have done the 700r swap and replaced with a 350 turbo in the past'

I just don`t want to get this all apart and find out a 2wd is different output then a 4wd

and the taul shaft needs replacing

Again... Yes, a 400 is a 400...