Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1995 s10 blazer hard to start and idles rough

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
Is check engine light on? Does the exhaust blow black smoke when engine is running?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Runs fine going done the road. It hits on all 6 cylinders and it is a 4.3. But does not like to start and surges at idle, but off idle runs fine done the road. I am sure this is in the fuel injection system, not sure wether dirty or component. Engine is a strong runner, and no problem with valve train or in bottom end.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
Is the check engine light on? Or service engine soon light?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No the engine light is not on. I do not know what else to tell you. It starts hard and will surge while sitting still and will stop surging and idle rough. After driving it and then shutting it off it smells like gas.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
A common problem on these engines is a leaking fuel pressure regulator inside the intake manifold. Checking the fuel pressure with a gauge will help to identify this. Fuel pressure should be 60-66 psi with the key on, engine off. Fuel pressure should hold for 10 minutes after the key is turned off .. If the fuel pressure drops rapidly, it is due to a fuel pressure regulator leaking. The upper intake manifold must be removed to service this part.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, I do not accept your answer. My fuel pressure is fine. The gas smell is coming out the exhaust. So we think it is dirty injectors being held open and not seating. What do you think?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 8 years ago.
The fuel injectors could be sticking. The best way to clean them is with a pressurized power flushing apparatus using a mixture of gasoline and GM Top Engine Cleaner.