GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevy impala: tail lights..bulbs..None of the interior lights work

Customer Question

The tail lights of my Chevy impala 2001 won't work. I replaced new bulbs (tail lights) but still no use. None of the interior lights work. The instrument panel lights work during the day but once the headlights come on, they grow dim and die. Turn signals, headlights all work fine. What do i do to fix this problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer Do the park lights flash when you use the keyless entry to unlock the door?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have a keyless entry. The park lights(rear) don't work either but the brake lights work well.
Do the front park lights work properly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nope, Park lights don't work either.

List of lights that don't work:
1. Instrument panel lights
2. Interior dome light
3. Parking light(front)
4. Reverse light (rear) -while backing the vehicle

List of lights that work:
1. Headlights
2. Turn Signals
3. Brake Lights
4. Instrument panel lights - ONLY when headlights r turned off

This happened after i gave the car for replacing the Body Control Module (a month ago).
Ok. That last part explains alot. The BCM is responsible for grounding the relay for the park lights. May I ask why you replaced the BCM and what steps you used to program the new one?
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your answer. I will accept it in good faith since i won't know if this is the solution till i give it back to the dealer to confirm. As for why i had the BCM replaced:

There was a lot of clicking noises in the car and i had trouble starting it. I posted the problem at this site and one of your experts recommended that i take a look at the BCM. When i gave the car to the dealer he mentioned it was a BCM problem and had it replaced (and reprogrammed)...and ever since i've had this problem.
If it is not, Please reply and we can figure this out. However, based on you reply, the timing is to convenient.