Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs Experience; GM factory Training ASE Master Certified with L1 advanced engine diagnostics
9480930

I have 1997 S10 with a 4.3. When replacing the distributor,

Customer Question

I have 1997 S10 with a 4.3. When replacing the distributor, I can't get it to line up just right. Each time I set it down in, it ends up on either side of the timing point. I can't make it fall right on it. The cam retard ends up +35 degrees. Any idea how I make the distributor set on point? What am I missing?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.

The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley must align up exactly, then the mark on the distrubutor shaft must align with the dot on the distributor gear, then installed in the engine, the timing marks on the distributor body then will align with the rotor.

Important: The engine front cover has 2 alignment tabs and the crankshaft balancer has 2 alignment marks (spaced 90 degrees apart) which are used for positioning number 1 piston at top dead center (TDC). With the piston on the compression stroke and at top dead center, the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (1) must align with the engine front cover tab (2) and the crankshaft balancer alignment mark (4) must align with the engine front cover tab (3).

• Rotate the crankshaft balancer clockwise until the alignment marks on the crankshaft balancer are aligned with the tabs on the engine front cover and the number 1 piston is at top dead center of the compression stroke.
  • Align the indent hole on the driven gear with the paint mark on the distributor housing.
  • The flat in the distributor housing must point toward the front of the engine.

• Once the distributor is fully seated, align the distributor rotor segment with the number 6 pointer (1) that is cast into the distributor base.

• If the distributor rotor segment does not come within a few degrees of the number 6 pointer (1), the gear mesh between the distributor and camshaft may be off a tooth or more. Repeat the procedure again in order to achieve proper alignment.

•  

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    <p>I'm going to give it another shot shortly - I'll let you know how we make out. Thanks!</p>
    Expert:  Scott K replied 5 years ago.

No problem just reply back iyou need more help.

Scott

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    This is what I kept trying over and over. Come to find out the distributor was bad - I hadn't noticed the teeth were all filed and were wore so bad they were sharp. Got another distributor and it seems OK - just hope the cam isn't bad. Thanx for your help.