JOHN
JOHN, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15YEAR WORKING ON AROUND CHEVY {GM CERT TECH}
11259967

witch timing marks to use on 3.0l satern vue cam shaft

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN replied 5 years ago.
Object Number: 894184  Size: SHTiming Belt Replacement

Tools Required

J 42069 Timing Belt Alignment Kit
J 42098 Crank Hub Torx Socket

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the front timing belt cover. Refer to Timing Belt Front Cover Replacement .
    Object Number: 894184  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  2. Rotate the crankshaft using the J 42098 until the #1 cylinder is at 60 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).
  3. Install theJ 42069 Crankshaft Locking Tool.
    Object Number: 894207  Size: SH
  4. Rotate the crankshaft in the engine rotational direction (clockwise) using the J 42098 until the #1 cylinder is at top dead center (TDC) and tighten the lever arm to the water pump pulley flange.

Important: Ensure that the alignment of the crankshaft is not 180 degrees off. The alignment mark must align with the corresponding notches on the rear timing belt cover.

5. Install the 1-2 and 3-4 camshaft locks, the J42069-1 Timing Belt Alignment Kit and the J42069-2.

Important: Do not rotate the crankshaft if the camshafts are not locked in place with the 1-2 and 3-4 camshaft locks (J42069-1 and J42069-2).

Important: Do not rotate the camshafts unless the crankshaft is at 60 degrees BTDC or the valves may contact the crankshaft.

6. Loosen the tensioner pulley.
  7. Remove the timing belt.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 894697  Size: SH
  1. Position crank at 60 degrees before TDC.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 894212  Size: MF
  2. Install the lower idler pulley.

Tighten
    Tighten the lower idler pulley bolt to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 897667  Size: SH
  3. Install the upper idler pulley and hand tighten bolt.
    Object Number: 897667  Size: SH

Important: With the camshaft locks installed, verify the distance between the camshaft sprockets with the Green Test Belt located in the Timing Belt Alignment Kit J 42069.

4. Install the timing belt tensioner and hand tighten nut and washer.
  5. Start #1 and #2 camshaft sprockets, route belt around #1 and #2 sprockets while aligning belt marks to marks on the sprockets and rear cover.
  6. Install the belt around the timing belt tensioner.
  7. Route belt around upper idler pulley.
  8. Route belt around #3 and #4 camshaft sprockets while aligning belt marks to marks on sprockets and rear cover.
  9. Route belt around crankshaft hub sprockets while aligning marks on belt to marks on the crankshaft hub sprocket.
    Object Number: 894212  Size: MF
  10. Install the wedge tool J 42069-30 to lock the timing belt onto crankshaft hub sprocket.
    Object Number: 894234  Size: SH
  11. With belt firmly engaged on crankshaft hub, carefully rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to get belt slack on lower idler pulley side.
  12. Route belt around the lower idler pulley.
    Object Number: 894223  Size: SH
  13. Remove the wedge tool J 42069-30.
    Object Number: 894184  Size: SH
  14. Re-install the crankshaft locking tool J 42069-10 and tighten the lever arm to the water pump pulley flange.
  15. Perform the following in sequence:
    15.1. Install the camshaft checking gage to cams 3 and 4 and verify alignment marks are within 2 mm of each other.
    15.2. Install 3 and 4 camshaft locks if properly aligned.
    15.3. Install camshaft checking gage to cams 1 and 2.

Object Number: 894239  Size: SH
    15.4. Rotate #1 camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to remove slack between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 cams.

Important: Ensure that the camshaft timing marks are to the left (retard) side of the checking gage.

15.5. Rotate the upper idler pulley counterclockwise until the marks are properly aligned within 2 mm of each other.
    15.6. Install 1 and 2 camshaft locks when properly aligned.

Tighten
    Tighten the idler pulley bolt to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

Object Number: 895597  Size: SHObject Number: 894231  Size: SH
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the cam shafts have two marks each, witch marks do we use
Expert:  JOHN replied 5 years ago.
MAKE SURE NUMBERS ARE FACING UP AND THAT YOU ARE ON TDC
Expert:  JOHN replied 5 years ago.
CAMSHAFT DRIVE SPROCKET REPLACEMENT (IN-VEHICLE) TOOLS REQUIRED J42069 Timing Belt Alignment Kit SA9140E Torque Angle Gauge REMOVAL Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove air cleaner assembly. Remove front timing belt cover. Remove timing belt. IMPORTANT: As a precaution, rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise to 60 degrees BTDC position to prevent valve/piston contact. Insert Timing Belt Alignment Kit J42069-1 and J42069-2 Camshaft Locking Tools into appropriate camshaft gears to hold gears in place while removing camshaft bolt. Remove camshaft gear bolt. Remove camshaft gear and discard camshaft gear bolts. INSTALLATION IMPORTANT: Install alignment pin in the correct, numbered, alignment slot on camshaft gear.
Expert:  JOHN replied 5 years ago.
HI WAS YOU ABLE TO GET LINED UP