Dan, Auto Technician
Experience:  GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500: Z71..first start..it starts right up

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 and it has a hard start problem. The first start of the day or week has no problems 99% of the time, so it starts right up. But every other time that day whether it is 2 minutes later or 2 hours it struggles to fire up. That being said, it has never not fired up, I end up having to pump the gasa couple times and it goes. I had it in a shop for a couple of days where they tested it several times a day. They said there is no fuel pressure problem and that it is not my fuel filter. All of my spark plugs have been replaced. I just can't afford to leave it in a shop. I live in an area where mechanics probably have the highest rates in the country. I have heard that it may be some fuel line that is clogging but that is just what one of the mechanics found on an internet site. Also it seems to idol a little low. I have been told I can turn that up but don't know how. Have you heard of anything like this before?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Do you know if they have cleaned the throttle body or reprogrammed the engine control module with the latest calibrations for this idle concern? Also, regarding the hard start has the fuel pressure regulator vacum hose been checked for signs of fuel indicating the diaphragm inside the regulator is leaking fuel into the vacum?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8

Already Tried:
Fuel Filter is fine, Fuel Pressure is normal, New Spark plugs, Fuel injector cleaner a few different times. Spent a couple days at a mechanic shop but due to time and money constraints couldn't leave it any more, but they looked up something on the internet that said it may be a dirty fuel line but thats all I have. It is a daily problem for the past year but it has always started but it does idle low.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't believe either of those have been checked. My situation was a little messed up because it started happening just before I had plans to pack my truck up and move to Aspen, CO. So i put it in a shop but they only had 2 days because I had drive across the country. Also I didn't have a great deal of faith in where I took it. How costly or labor intensive is it to check and/or fix those things because it is so expensive in the valley where I live. I'm not the XXXXX XXXXXke people think about Aspen. I landscape and wait tables for those rich people. If it was going to be a lot of money I would probably try to take it to Denver or somewhere like that, but it is a 3.5 hour drive. Also, if the fuel is leaking into the vacum is that something that can cause long term damage? I've had this problem for about a year, but that is partially because from Nov-March I end up driving less than 10 miles a week. Sometimes not at all, but I try to keep the battery charged and run it a little. Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

The fuel pressure regulator is easy enough to check...locate on the left side of the engine, disconnect the vacum line and if any signs of fuel suspect a faulty pressure regulator. As for the cleaning the throttle bore and plate along with reprogramming the engine computer that all needs to be done at a GM dealership as GM software and Tech 2 scan tool are utilized.

Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement (4.8 L, 5.3 L, and 6.0 L)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 665886  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  1. Loosen the engine sight shield bolt.
  2. Remove the engine sight shield from the sight shield retainer.
    Object Number: 684149  Size: SH
  3. If removal of the engine sight shield retainer is required, disconnect the cruise control cable clip from the retainer.
    Object Number: 684150  Size: SH
  4. Disconnect the accelerator control cable clip from the retainer.
  5. Remove the engine sight shield retainer bolts and the retainer, if required.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 684150  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

1. Install the engine sight shield retainer and the bolts, if required.

Tighten
    Tighten the engine sight shield retainer bolts to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

2. Install the accelerator control cable clip to the retainer.
    Object Number: 684149  Size: SH
  3. Install the cruise control cable clip to the retainer.
    Object Number: 665886  Size: SH

Notice: Use care when installing the engine sight shield to avoid contacting the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor wire harness connector. Loss of engine performance or engine damage may result.

4. Install the engine sight shield to the retainer.
  5. Tighten the engine sight shield bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the engine sight shield bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

6. Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the engine sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L.
    2. Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief .
      Object Number: 350543  Size: SH
    3. Disconnect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
    4. Clean any dirt from the fuel pressure regulator retainer and the surrounding area.
    5. Remove the fuel pressure regulator retainer (8).
    6. Remove the fuel pressure regulator (9) from the fuel pressure regulator housing.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 350543  Size: SH
    1. Install the backup ring (10) on the fuel pressure regulator (9).
    2. Install the new large O-ring (11) on the fuel pressure regulator.
    3. Install the regulator filter (12) on the fuel pressure regulator.
    4. Install the new small O-ring (13) on the fuel pressure regulator.
    5. Lubricate the fuel pressure regulator large O-ring and the small O-ring with clean engine oil.
    6. Push the fuel pressure regulator into the regulator housing on the fuel rail.
    7. Install a new fuel pressure regulator retainer (8).
    8. Connect the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line.
    9. Connect the negative battery cable.
    10. Tighten the fuel filler cap.
    11. Inspect for leaks.
      11.1. Turn ON the ignition for 2 seconds.
      11.2. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds.
      11.3. Turn ON the ignition .
      11.4. Inspect for fuel leaks.
    12. Install the engine sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement in Engine Mechanical-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok well thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I am visiting my family and my truck is back home across the country, but I plan on taking your advice when I get home in a little over a week. I am still wondering because I have had this problem for a while now, is there any possibility they could have cause some sort of greater damage? Like if the fuel pressure regulator has been faulty for all this time could it have caused some greater problem that just hasn't shown itself yet or if its the throttle bore and plate, can it have caused other damage? I am planning to take it to a GM dealership but I would like to have some kind of idea of what things will cost or roughly how long each of those things (cleaning the throttle bore and reprogramming) will take? The only reason I ask is because if it is going to be real expensive I am going to need to save up a little before I get it fixed, and the closest dealership to me is about an hour away so I can't just run up the street and get an estimate. I realize rates vary but I'm just looking for a loose, ballpark figure. Thank you so much for your time and your help. I am going to accept your answer, but I was just hoping you might be able to help me out on these last few questions. Thanks again, have a wonderful day.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I would be looking at roughly an hour labor total to clean the throttle body, reprogram the computer and check everything out. Dealership rates range from $60-100/hour. As for greater damage, I don't see how this can cause that but rather just get worse as far as starting the truck.
Dan, Auto Technician
Experience: GM Mark of Excellence/ Service Guild Participant with 13 years experience, ASE Master Certified