GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Chevy truck: I change a oil pressure sending unit..4x4..5.3L

Customer Question

How do I change a oil pressure sending unit for a 2004 4x4 chevy truck with a 5.3L engine?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2004 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado 5.3

Already Tried:
I found the sending unit on the back of the intake near the fire wall. I tried to use a socket to remove the sending unit, but there does not appear to be enough space to get on the nut on the sending unit. I tried a wrench but had the same problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer here is some instructions and please reply if you have any questions: I wrote all this before you posted your second post the socket which is a GM special tool that you may be able to get a hold of at a parts or tool store or a snap-on or mac dealer. The socket is just a special thinwall socket I believe.

Engine Oil Pressure Sensor and/or Switch Replacement

Tools Required

J 41712 Oil Pressure Switch Socket

Removal Procedure

Important: Clean the area around the oil pressure sensor. Do not allow debris to enter the engine.

Object Number: 782680  Size: SH

1. Remove the distributor. Disconnect the fuel pump/oil pressure sensor electrical connector (3).
    Object Number: 348085  Size: SH

2. Using J 41712 , remove the fuel pump/oil pressure sensor.
    Object Number: 348087  Size: SH

Important: Note the alignment of the engine oil pressure sensor fitting prior to removal.

3. Remove the fuel pump/oil pressure sensor fitting, if necessary.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 348087  Size: SH

1. If installing the old fitting, apply sealant to the threads of the fitting. Install the fitting until snug, if necessary.
  2. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 783691  Size: SH

3. Tighten the fuel pump/oil pressure sensor fitting.

Tighten

1. Tighten the fitting to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).
    2. Increase torque until the centerline of the fitting (1) is 50 degrees from the centerline of the crankshaft (2).

Object Number: 348085  Size: SH

4. If installing the old sensor, apply sealant to the threads of the sensor. Refer to Using J 41712 , install the sensor.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the sensor to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Object Number: 782680  Size: SH

6. Connect the fuel pump/oil pressure sensor electrical connector (3).
  7. Install the distributor. Check and adjust the engine oil level, if necessary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How many hours would you estimate the repair would take if I took my truck to a dealer? And also a cost estimate please.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

I think Jay must have misread your engine size. The 5.3L engine has not distributor. The sensor is located in the top back of the intake manifold. He is correct that there is a specific socket for the removal of the sensor, however, most part stores will rent or loan this to you. Below is a picture. If you choose to replace it, you should only need to remove the top engine cover and lay across the engine. It usually takes me 15 mins to change the sensor. The flat rate time to change the sensor is 0.6 with a part cost of about 80.00. This would mean the job would cost you 150. May I ask what the gauge is doing that you are wanting to replace the sensor?

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gauge pegs out @ 80psi as soon as you turn on the key and while the engine is running. If the sending unit is unplugged then the gauge reads zero. My brother is a mechanic w/ Ford (also works on all makes) and he said that more than likely it is the sending unit.
OK. I agree with your brother. I was thinking that the cluster might be at fault, but that does not sound like a cluster issue.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I would say it is likely the sending unit especially if you have not noticed any problems with the way the car is running.