Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Seventeen years of automotive experience with the past thirteen in General Motors dealerships.
13303789

I need to reset my anti theft on my 99 Pontiac Sunfire...

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

Already Tried:
just started... I replaced the entire steering column along with the key switch.. now the anti theft light is flashing... how do I reset or disable
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer my name is Mike.

First we need to clear the codes from the memory in the theft deterrent system. If you do not have a scan tool to do this you can disconnect the battery for 10 minutes.

Once the codes are cleared insert the key and turn it on the security lamp should flash for 10 minutes, leave the key on during this process. Once the lamp turns off or stops flashing. After that time turn the key off for at least 3 seconds then start the vehicle.

The instrument cluster and the PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete the learn cycle. Ensure that the ignition switch remains in RUN until the indicator stops flashing. If you turn the ignition switch before the indicator stops flashing, repeat the long tamper cycle from the beginning.

Let me know how it goes, and thank you for choosing Just Answer.