michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM
10669957

My 2002 silverado idles rough in cold weather and the service

My 2002 silverado idles rough in cold weather and the service engine light comes on only in cold weather. I had the light checked at Autozone and they said it was either a oxygen senser or a fuel injector. What is the problem?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado v8

Already Tried:
Gave it a full tuneup
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.
hello... did they tell you the trouble code/codes that were set in the PCM? also, other than the tune-up... has any work been done? have you run E85 fuel in this vehicle recently?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't remember the codes but they told me it was an oxygen senser or fuel injector. No other work has been done to the engine and I have not use any E85 fuel.
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello. well... the exact code would be of great help... BUT if the issue happens more-so when cold... i'd have to say the the "most likely" cause would be the O2 sensor heater circuit. it's possible that the heater for the O2 has failed and isn't allowing the sensor to "heat-up" in the required time-frame.

at the dealership... most of the injector failures are after the vehicle has run for 15+ minutes... so i doubt it would give you a "cold start" issue.

IF you could go to Autozone or Advance Auto parts... and have the vehicle re-scanned and get the code... i could have a more definite answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And this senser would cause the engine to idle rough?
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello. yes it is possible for the O2 sensor to cause a rough idle... especially if the sensor is shorted internally. IF shorted it could cause a "feedback" that when sent back to the PCM... could cause many issues.

there is 1 "quick check" you could do to see if it is related to the fuel pressure regulator...(i've had a few of these cause a cold start issue) the regulator is located on the fuel rail on the drivers side of the engine. remove the vacuum line off of the regulator and see if there is any fuel inside the hose. IF there isn't any fuel in the hose... start the truck and let it run for a couple minutes while watching the nipple on the regulator to see if ANY fuel comes out.

please reply with your findings.

michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM