Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

1998 chevy cavalier: runs rough..throttle..fuel pressure..crank sensor

I have a 1998 chevy cavalier that runs rough and misfires,was told the problem could be throttle positioning sensor could this be true?or can it be some other sensor that i'm not finding,fuel pressure is good,crank sensor changed along with plugs and wires.can you answer this for me
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1998 Chevrolet cavalier 2.2

Already Tried:
changed crank sensor,plugs,wires,disconnected battery,checked fuel pressure,fuel pump,cylinder compression the car still misfires,no visual coolant or oil leaks.what might this be?
Thanks for choosing JA,

Are there any warning lights?

engine, etc?....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no warning lights or gauges,no check engine light nothing .i dont get it just runs real rough when i accelerate it misfires real bad,when at idle it misfires and motor rocks back and fourth.
How does it start? Are there times when it wont run badly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no,from the time of startup ,to shut off,it misfires,the motor pops alot at high rpm,but cylinders dont sound like their losing compression,their is no noises in the cam either,their is no check lights at blinking codes.All i know is when i fire it up and step on the gas the motor runs at idle,but pops alot at high rpm, any thing else i can answer for you,let me know, I really need to get this car running,got work and kids to worry about thanks. john
1. Check the fuel pressure regulator for leak.

2. Run cleaner through the fuel injectors.

3. Clean the throttle bore.

4. Check Powertrain Control Module (PCM) condition, ahead of the Right Front (RF) wheel.

Next we will ht the IAC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is the IAC?
Idle air control
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok,last question and then i'll pay you.where is the idle air control located?
In front of the throttle body. follow the air duct from the air box into the intake.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks tim,youve been a big help in my matter at hand,have a great day. John
Good luck