Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevy Astro: die..starts sit 10 minutes or less..starts back

My Chevy Astro Van keeps dying when I am driving it or when it is idling. It may take 5 minutes on the road to die or when idling, or it may be a little longer. Sometimes it starts right up and other times I have to let it sit 10 minutes or less and it starts back up. Could it be a fuel filter problem? I have had so many people tell me different things from a bad fuel pump to an alternator. I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the ignition on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1994 Chevrolet Astro Van

Already Tried:
Listening to see if the fuel pump was working. I am a female and know nothing about cars but my brother and brother in law, who both live out of town, say they think it is a fuel filter. I would be happy to pay the fee but I don't have the money right now as I am on SSDI and only have money at the first part of the month. Thank you for your help.
If the engine cranks over after dying it is not an alternator problem. Since you hear the fuel pump running, the fuel pump may be okay, but the true test is to install a fuel pressure gauge. The most likely cause is a bad ignition coil or ignition module. They heat up after running a while and will not work again until cooling down.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any way to test the ignition coil or the ignition module?