Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How do I replace the rear wheel bearing on a 2005 front wheel

How do I replace the rear wheel bearing on a 2005 front wheel drive equinox?

Its not too difficult. You will need to first remove the rotor. Specific directions are below in pdf file format(adobe reader):

BRAKE ROTOR

HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY

A couple of helpful hints not listed in directions. If rotor doesnt slide off after removing the caliper assembly, there is likely corrosion between rotor and hub.

You can spray around center of rotor with wd40 and then hit the backside of rotor with a rubber hammer(or place a block of wood on rotor surface and strike with a hammer:

graphic

graphic

On the hub bearing assembly, once you have the 3 retaining bolts off, the hub bearing assembly should just pull out. If it doesnt, you can either rent a slide hammer with hub puller extension to slide hammer it off, or thread the 3 retaining bolts about 1/3 of the way, place a socket over them and hit with a hammer to force it out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This model has rear drum breaks.

Sorry, I mis-read and thought you were replacing the front wheel bearing. Give me just a minute to pull up for the rear bearings.

Ok, here are directions for rear hub bearings- nothing difficult on this one:

REAR HUB BEARING ASSEMBLY

If rear drum doesnt slide off, spray with wd40 and hit with a hammer to loosen it to slide off.

On the hub bearing assembly, once you have the 4 retaining bolts off, the hub bearing assembly should just pull out. If it doesnt, you can either rent a slide hammer with hub puller extension to slide hammer it off, or thread the 4 retaining bolts about 1/3 of the way, place a socket over them and hit with a hammer to force it out.

good diagram showing how it just pulls out:

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't see a hub nut, as in the pdf. I will tear it apart sunday and see how it goes. thank you , MSG EMMERTSON, US ARMY

Because there is an 4wd version, they include the part about the hub nut. Since the one you are working on is fwd only, it wont have one.